Tuesday, August 13, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Paying Forward A Love of Books

Books! 
I dunno if I ever told you this, but books 
are the greatest gift one person can give another.
- Bono

Before I retired from my day job, I would order books and have them delivered to my work. That way I could sneak them home in my bag without my husband knowing. Trust me, it was just less of an argument that way! And now that I’m retired, I’ve got to make a new plan. If only I could schedule deliveries for his random golfing days…

I already own way more print books than I will ever read, not to mention the e-books on my Kindle, but I love having a variety of reading material available at a moment’s notice. My shelves hold mostly romances, but mysteries, westerns, biographies, and various nature and animal books also have a place in my home. In addition, books on the craft of writing fill up their own shelving unit in my office. In my mind, there is always room for more!

One of the women’s magazines I read recently had a two-page spread about author Sarah Wilson, and her book “First, We Make the Beast Beautiful: A New Journey Through Anxiety. Reading the article gave me goosebumps. I accepted the overwhelming urge to buy the book so I could share it with my daughter, who suffers from anxiety and depression. By gifting the book to her, I felt helpful – and hopeful.

Last week, UPS delivered a book package addressed to me. I hadn’t ordered anything, and the package didn’t say who it was from. Inside I discovered a beautiful hardcover titled “Fifty Things That Aren’t My Faultby Cathy Guisewite (creator of the “Cathy” cartoon). There was also a note from my cousin: I saw this and thought of you because you love to read and I’ve heard great things about this book. Let me know what you think.

My cousin currently lives in another state, but she is aware my life is in flux. With chapters such as “At Least I Didn’t Eat a Donut”, “I’m Flunking Retirement”, and “My Cup Would Runneth Over Except It Was Full of M&M’s and Now They’re All Gone”, this seems like the perfect book to help me retain my sanity! The best part is, I plan to read it and then send it back to her so she can enjoy it as well.

Did I unintentionally pay it (a love for reading and books) forward? I don’t know, but sharing books with others feels like the right thing to do.

The journey of a lifetime starts with the turning of a page.
 - Rachel Anders

What books have you given or received that made an impact? I’d love to add to my list!



HiDee Ekstrom never goes anywhere without a book or a pen and paper. Reading, writing, and chocolate are important elements of her daily life that inspire her to write. She also finds inspiration in and enjoys photography, scrapbooking, camping, hiking, and spending time with her family. Writing as Lainee Cole, two of her short-stories have been self-published in anthologies: Captured by Christmas and At Midnight. Follow Lainee at Facebook Author PageFacebook Author Profile Page, and on Twitter.