Thursday, August 29, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Meet Teresa Roman

The Write Way Café welcomes Teresa Roman, who explores tough topics of abuse, loss, and finding love in Second Chances.


When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book?
About 6 or 7 years ago. I’m a big daydreamer and I get all these stories in my head. One day I just decided it would be fun to write them all down.

What was your path to getting Second Chances written and published? What type of research did you do?
The stories in my contemporary romance books are always a combination of personal experiences and my imagination. Because I draw from personal experience, I usually don’t have a ton of research to do. For Second Chances most of my research consisted of talking to people who had been through the loss of a spouse.

Where did the idea for your story come from?
There are so many stories out there about someone losing a spouse, how painful it is, and their road to finding love again. I wanted to explore what happened when the marriage wasn’t happy, when the grieving widow didn’t necessarily lose the “love of her life.”

Why did you pick the setting you did?
The story is set in Sacramento, CA where I currently live. It’s a great city so that’s why I decided to use it as a setting for my book.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
They are a mix of my imagination and a mix of either myself or people I know. Choosing to write characters that reflects aspects of myself is very cathartic for me, but since the characters aren’t truly autobiographical I feel like I still retain some privacy.

Did you face any blocks while writing Second Chances, and if so, how did you handle them?
Second Chances was fairly easy to write because I had the story so fleshed out in my head.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing Second Chances and after?
I’d say the biggest surprise I encountered was in a handful of reviews. It is a story about emotional abuse among other things. I was surprised at how judgmental some people can be about this topic. To be honest that made me a little sad. I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to judge others when you’ve never been in their place.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about being a single parent, and then blending families?
I learned that there are a million emotions involved with losing a spouse, falling in love again, blending families, etc. Now when I watch people go through similar circumstances, my heart really aches for them.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble?
Transitions. Going from one scene to another is always a challenge for me. The other is endings. I have a habit of rushing them.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you.
I mostly write on my couch, just because it’s more comfortable than sitting at a desk. I write when my kids are in school. When they’re around I get way too distracted.

What are some of your favorite books and why?
So many … I think my all-time favorite book series is the Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole. I also really love Harry Potter, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Book Thief, Me Before You. I could talk about my favorite books all day.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine?
That’s another hard one. There are so many good choices. I love Hermione, of course. I also really love Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones (the books, not the show).

What are you working on now?
A paranormal romance series called The Cursed Prince.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre?  Which one and why?
If I had the confidence, I’d really like to try historical romance. I’m so scared of getting some detail wrong that I’m too anxious to give it a try.

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?
Really anything that has to do with books like a librarian or editor. I just really love books - reading them, writing them, and talking about them.

###

by Teresa RomanWhen Vanessa’s tumultuous marriage ends with the unexpected death of her husband, she’s left battling a mix of emotions. Haunted by her husband’s final words, Vanessa must find the strength to keep it together for the sake of her two children. But being a widow and single mother isn’t easy.

As Vanessa starts to put the pieces of her life back together, she runs into an old high school friend. Alex convinces her to take a chance on love again, but the burden of her unresolved emotions and the challenges of blending two families take their toll, leaving Vanessa fearful that second chances aren’t for everyone.

Amazon


Teresa Roman writes contemporary and paranormal romance for adults and young adults. If it were possible to be born with a book in her hands, that’s how Teresa Roman would’ve entered this world. Her passion for reading is what inspired her to become a writer. She loves the way stories can take you to another time and place.

Born in Romania, Teresa has lived in the Midwest and on both coasts but currently calls Sacramento, California, her home. She lives there with her husband, three adorable children, three cats, and a dog. When she’s not at her day job or running around with her kids, you can find her in the kitchen baking something sinful, in front of the computer, writing, or with her head buried in another book.

Website        Facebook      Twitter         Goodreads        Instagram


  

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Congratulations on writing a great book with tough subjects. Thank you for being on our blog!

Teresa Roman said...

Thanks for having me.

HiDee said...

It's great to learn more about you, Teresa. I admire you for caring enough to tackle sensitive subjects. Thank you for sharing with us today, and best of luck to you!

Teresa Roman said...

Thank you Hidee