Thursday, October 3, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Meet Anne Joyce

The Write Way Café welcomes Anne Joyce, author of Arid, who got an early start on her writing life.

When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book?  
I was in first grade and we made these little animal stick puppets. We were supposed to come up with a story and use them to act it out. I made up something on the fly and I guess I impressed everyone because some adults I’d never met approached me and asked me if I’d just made that up. When I said “yes”, their mouths fell open.

What was your path to getting Arid written and published? What type of research did you do? 
I watched a lot of educational videos and consulted a few friends who were knowledgeable on certain aspects. I used Google too.

Where did the idea for your story come from? 
I watched a conspiracy theory video on TV about how lakes and rivers were mysteriously being drained and politicians were purchasing large aqueducts, and no one really knows why. It just got me thinking.

Why did you pick the setting you did? 
It seemed appropriate because in a post-apocalyptic world where water is extremely scarce, the desert land would be the most adversely affected.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself? 
Xiomara is many shades of my mom. I didn’t plan that, but when I began fleshing out the characters, she kind of turned into Mom. You could say that Josh has some fragments of my personality. The rest of the crew have their own personalities entirely.

Did you face any blocks while writing Arid, and if so, how did you handle them? 
Sure. I think everyone does when writing a novel. Things just don’t always happen how you originally planned them. Jogging has always helped me form new ideas. Being in motion gets my creative juices flowing.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing Arid and after? 
I was surprised at some of the directions the plot took and by who didn’t make it in the end. I don’t want to go into detail, or I’ll give away too much.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about our county and our water supply?  
I learned how to be a better writer. I read books and attended seminars to help make that happen, but writing this book alone helped me grow as an author. What I learned about our water supply is that water is basically an exploitable good throughout most of the world. Slovenia is one of few countries to declare water a natural right.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble? 
Fight scenes, especially when there are multiple people involved. It’s so hard to coordinate. I can’t even tell you how many times I rewrote chapter 19, but it was a lot!

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you. 
My writing space is usually my living room couch. There is always a cat laying on my legs. It works because I live alone, and no one bothers me while I’m writing

What are some of your favorite books and why?  
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and Dystopia by Janet McNulty. I think these authors do a great job or creating a believable dystopian future.

What are you working on now? 
I’m currently writing a prequel to Arid called “Parched-The Days before Exile.”

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre? Which one and why? 
I’m open to the idea. I’ve thought about writing horror or comedy. I’ve been told I should do comedy.

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?  
I think I would’ve made a good scientist


by Anne Joyce
When the water's all gone, what will you do to survive?

It's the distant future. The earth is scourged by nuclear warfare and natural resources have become scarce.To top it all off, the country is overtaken by wealthy moguls who dominate the water supply and sell it back to the public at ridiculous prices. After a drastic crime increase "indigents" who can't afford water are stripped of their belongings and forced out of town by an army of brutes called Purifiers.

Life becomes harsh and ominous for Joshua Wyman and his group until they begin to occasionally receive food and other basic amenities after Joshua is deemed useful. When a blatant abuse of Purifier power during a routine visit leaves them reeling Joshua and his friends reach their breaking point.

They devise a plan to steal the Purifiers' vehicle during their next visit and escape their hell. Their journey across the uncharted wastelands filled with murderers and thieves proves to be far more than this civilized, benevolent crew bargained for. Growing tensions within the nearby towns may cause the two worlds to collide, creating an epic storm.

Amazon


Anne Rasico (AKA Anne Joyce) was born in a small town in Indiana you’ve probably never heard of.  She composed short stories and comic books as a child to amuse her family and began writing poetry at the age of thirteen. In 1998 she received an Honorable Mention for Literary Excellence for her poem "She Didn't Come Home."

In 2013 her novella “When the Chips Are Down” was named a Finalist in the MARSocial Author of the Year Contest. When she is not writing, thinking about writing, or going insane from writing she enjoys camping, fishing, swimming, and otherwise spending time with loved ones.  She is mother to three extremely spoiled cats. Crazy cat lady? Probably.

Website        Arid book        Amazon ebook

Amazon paperback        Facebook        Instagram


1 comments:

HiDee said...

Your cover is very expressive, and your book sounds very interesting. Thank you for joining us today, Anne!