Tuesday, October 1, 2019 | By: HiDee

I'm Still Learning!

It's never too late to learn. Malcolm ForbesIt’s back to school time! I love this time of year, mostly for the back-to-school sales on office supplies. Who doesn’t love to pick up more post-it notes, pens, notepads and other cute items that we might use? Okay, okay, maybe I don’t really need them, but in my mind, they’re like books: you can never have too many! Right?

Even though I’ve been out of school for more years than I care to admit, I love to learn. At one point in my life, I wanted to be a professional student. I loved going to classes (well, not all of them). I loved meeting other people; learning what made them tick and what their goals were. I loved learning. Period.

I know I’m late to this party, but last year I finally got my first smart phone. I knew I would love it once I had it, I just didn’t want to pay for it. But thanks to a BOGO deal, I was in luck. My kids still hound me, though. I don’t type with my thumbs. I use my forefinger – it’s much quicker! I’m always learning new things on the phone, much to their chagrin.

So what does this have to with going back to school? It’s a learning process! After I got the smart phone, I spent my lunch hours walking. I’ve always escaped the office when the weather was good. I loved walking around the old neighborhoods near my office. But in the winter, I struggled to be active. It was often too cold to walk outside so instead, I ate lunch at my desk and surfed the internet. Having my smart-phone encouraged me to walk indoors, too. I started making laps in the hallways and needed something to help pass the time, and to discourage people from stopping me to talk.

That’s when I discovered podcasts!

Here are some of the free podcasts I discovered through the Podbean app:

http://murverse.com/subscribe-to-podcasts/isbw/ - Focusing on the emotional road blocks one finds in a writing career, this show speaks to over 8000 listeners every week.

https://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/podcasts/ - Award-winning author K.M. Weiland hosts this podcast that offers mentorship and advice to aspiring writers hoping to publish their own novel someday. Weiland offers practical advice on many topics related to storytelling and story structure.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl - Mignon Fogarty is the founder of the Quick and Dirty Tips network and creator of Grammar Girl, which has been named one of Writer's Digest's 101 best websites for writers multiple times. She is also an inductee in the Podcasting Hall of Fame.

https://www.thecreativepenn.com/podcasts/ - Podcast episodes are posted every Monday and include interviews, inspiration and information on writing and creativity, publishing options, book marketing and creative entrepreneurship.

These are just a few of the many podcasts available for writers. So, now that my kids are grown and out of the house, who says I can’t continue my education?

Do you listen to podcasts? If so, what are some of your favorites?  I'd love to hear from  you!


HiDee Ekstrom never goes anywhere without a book or a pen and paper. Reading, writing, and chocolate are important elements of her daily life that inspire her to write. She also finds inspiration in and enjoys photography, scrapbooking, camping, hiking, and spending time with her family. Writing as Lainee Cole, two of her short-stories have been self-published in anthologies: Captured by Christmas and At Midnight. Follow Lainee at Facebook Author PageFacebook Author Profile Page, and on Twitter.

1 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm so excited about your inspiring ideas!