Monday, July 22, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Monday Morsels: Horseshoes & Roses

...a taste of romance


HORSESHOES & ROSES
Book 7, The Bloodline Series
by Lynda Rees


CHAPTER 1

Dovie Fuller-Dane sat across a table in her restaurant, Fuller House Bistro, from Lemon Sage Gordon. It was a down day, so the room was deserted. Dovie’s French café had been open a month, and business boomed.

“Kudos to the woman who tamed our illustrious sheriff. Wyatt Gordon has been a chick magnet since he was as a good-looking, high school footballer. The shock of silver hair he’s sprouted prematurely makes him even more handsome.” Dovie rolled her eyes and did a twirl with her pen-toting hand. Dovie was a harmless flirt. Joking, she presented no threat and meant none.

Sage laughed. Her marriage to Sheriff Gordon was solid as stone. “I nailed him as a player when we met. I’d heard how women flocked to him, though he’d stopped dating. We kept being thrown together, but we clashed left and right. Wyatt’s aura drew me to him. I sensed his pain. Knee deep in my own misery, the strong attraction surprised me. Sweetwater and my organic farm were my new start. I didn’t expect to find love.”

“Well, honey child, you’ve breathed new life into Wyatt. That’s a fact. Now I’m benefiting from your move. Your organic herbs and produce are customer favorites on my menu. Riley says it’s a good marketing hook. Folks enjoy locally grown and organic combined with fabulous cuisine.”

Sage eyed her curiously. "You’re recently divorced. Right? I saw you cozying up to Moggie Larrs. You wouldn’t be carrying a torch for him by any chance?”

Dovie’s pale, creamy skin flashed as brilliantly red as her long locks. “Am I so easy to read? Yes, my ex is the worst of the world’s cheaters, with one woman after another. He finally settled on a wealthy slut who funded his restaurant in Singapore. He got her. I got the shaft. It’s all good. I’m home where I belong.” Her hand waved nervously. “And Moggie—that man’s smoking hot. His Charles Bronson, sultry, smoking hot handsome is a major turn on. I’ve been swooning over him since I was a sappy teen and he was Gran’s farrier.”

“Moggie’s come a long way from the injured cop who shod horses for a living.”

“Yes, he’s Gran’s foreman. Gran ages quicker by the day and can’t continue the pace. Moggie manages the farm, breeding and racing horses. She adores him and treats him like family.”

“Do you and Carlton plan to take over more of that, now you’re home?”

“God—no. Carlton hates horses and wants nothing to do with the farm. He and Howard live in a lovely, golf course condo. I like riding, but live to cook.”

“What will you and Carlton do with the farm once your Gran passes?” The old gal was in her late eighties in bad shape.

Dovie’s bright, green eyes lit with surprise. “I haven’t given it much consideration. Gran encouraged us to pursue our dreams. The farm belonged to her, and she never acted disappointed in our lack of interest. I’ve spent more time away than I should have. I love her and owe her everything. Our parents died when we were young. She raised Carlton and I. I’m trying to make up lost time with her and enjoying every second.”

“How about a beer? I’m meeting Wyatt, Corrie, Levi and Riley at The Ten Mile House. Want to join?”

Dovie considered for a moment. “Sounds fun. I haven’t seen them since the double wedding. Mr. All American, blonde, shaggy hair with baby, blue eyes capable of melting chocolate, hasn’t changed in all these years. He’s a world renowned horse breeder and racing mogul, but still the sweetest, most down-to-earth guy around. It’s a miracle someone didn’t snap Levi up long ago.”

“Every racing or political groupie, heiress with a horse fetish, or gold digger in the country pursued Levi for his money or power. He and Riley Powers were in our wedding party. Riley was a workaholic with a thriving business and no time for social life. They hit a few speed bumps then found true love in each other.”

“I adore Riley. She’s a fabulous marketer. I heard about the murder and kidnapping—scary stuff. Hard to believe all the trauma happened in quiet Sweetwater. I understand you enjoyed an adventurous first year, too.”

“Adventure isn’t how I’d describe it. Murder, mayhem and clashing with an over-protective sheriff was more like it.” Sage winked.

“Did your free-spirited, independence drive the caregiver in Wyatt crazy?” Dovie laughed.

Sage grinned mischievously standing. “Still does, but he’s addicted to my impulsive nature. He calls me a danger magnet. Believe me, it’s not intentional.”

The bell chimed. The front door opened. A uniformed deliveryman stepped tentatively inside. “Hello.” Seeing the two women nearby, he approached and extended a box toward them. “Is one of you Mrs. Dovie Dane?”

Dovie reached for it. Handing her a pad, he grinned. “Sign here please.”

Dovie wrote her name and handed the man a five from her pocket. “Thanks.” She sat the carton on the table. “Who would send flowers?”

Sage shrugged. Dovie flipped string from the cardboard, removing the cover and revealing a dozen long-stemmed, white roses. Dovie’s breath caught in a frightening way. She back-stepped, putting distance between her and the package. Panic crossed her face.

Sage placed a gentle hand on Dovie’s shoulder. “You okay?”

Dovie blinked and shook her head. “Is—is—there a note?” She eyed the gift like she feared coming closer.

Sage retrieved a note from the box. Dovie threw a hand up resisting. Sage shrugged and read it. “It won’t be long now.” It’s not signed. Who’s it from?” She eyed her new friend cautiously.

“Oh, God, no. Not again. He’s followed me. This can’t happen.” Her face blanched as white as Sage’s farmer’s cheese.

###

by Lynda Rees
After a whirlwind global career as a chef, Dovie Fuller opens a restaurant in her hometown of Sweetwater, Kentucky and gets a second chance with Moggie Larrs, the cowhand haunting her dreams since she was too young for naughty thoughts. Her ex wants her back. Her stalker has followed her home. An inheritance forces Dovie to choose between Moggie and her beloved, twin brother, Carlton. Carlton and his lover, Howard try to force a legal battle Dovie doesn’t want. Her business, romance and life are in jeopardy. No one in town is safe.

Amazon   

Bookbub


📚  Find Lynda Rees here:  

Website         Facebook         Twitter  

Pinterest          Bookbub

1 comments:

HiDee said...

Lynda, thank you for sharing with us today. Horseshoes and Roses sounds very interesting, and I love your cover!