Thursday, July 11, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Meet Carole Price


The Write Way Café welcomes Carole Price, author of the Shakespeare in the Vineyard series and seventeen-year veteran of volunteer police work.

When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book? 
As a big reader, I had moments where I thought it would be fun to write a mystery novel, but lack of confidence held me back. Then our daughter moved to Ashland, Oregon, home of the famous Shakespeare Festival. I attended and fell in love with the Bard. That sparked an idea - Why not bring Shakespeare to Livermore, CA, where I live?

What was your path to getting your Shakespeare in the Vineyard mystery series written and published? What type of research did you do? 
My daughter introduced me to a couple of people connected with the festival. I interviewed a stage manager and took a behind the scene tour. A class I took on Shakespeare at our junior college was one of the best things I did, in terms of research.

Where did the idea for the Shakespeare in the Vineyard series come from? 
Thanks to my daughter who lived in Ashland for eight years, opportunities occurred to attend plays and meet those connected to the theater. Their willingness to answer my questions encouraged me to write my first book, Twisted Vines.

Why did you pick the setting you did for the series? 
Livermore is in wine country and where I live. There is a Shakespeare festival that produces plays three months of the year. Tourists flock here for wine tasting and to enjoy lunch in the rolling hills. But I created my own Shakespeare festival and vineyard that my protagonist inherited from an aunt she’d never heard of. Thus, the mystery.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself? 
The only connection that Cait Pepper, my protagonist, has to me is that both of us are from Columbus, Ohio. She was a crime analyst with the Columbus PD before inheriting the Bening Vineyard & Shakespeare Festival.

Did you face any blocks while writing Vineyard Prey, book three in the series, and if so, how did you handle them? 
It helped that I lived here and was familiar with the Bay Area. When I retired from a national laboratory, I signed up for the Citizens’ Police Academy. I’ve been an active police volunteer for seventeen years. The police officers have been helpful by answering my police procedure questions.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing Vineyard Prey and after? 
I don’t outline, which has, too often, gotten me into a dead end. The positive and surprising moment was a last-minute change in who I had pegged as the bad guy. That change worked out for the better. Now I’m in the same predicament with my new series.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about vineyards and Shakespearean festivals? 
Oh goodness, the whole writing process has given me more confidence, perseverance, endurance, and patience. My critique group has supported me for many years. I wouldn’t be published without them. There are usually two plays going on simultaneously at “my” festival, giving me the opportunity to read and learn from each of them. You could say, I’ve rediscovered Shakespeare in a good way.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble? 
Marketing has been a little difficult for me, but it has to be done to introduce yourself to the public. I do enjoy book signing opportunities at libraries and bookstores. Conferences are good for interaction with other authors and for exchanging ideas, but I have cut back on them.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you. 
I have a home office where I can close the door, play a CD, and think out loud. I’m surrounded by books, fiction, how-to books on all aspects of writing (there is no end to learning), and a file cabinet. Some of my stained-glass projects are in the window. My dog, Shilo, my constant companion, let's me know when it’s time for a break.

What are some of your favorite books and why? 
I have many, mostly mysteries, but Gone with the Wind hangs in there as a favorite. Daniel Silva’s international intrigue books (The English Spy) staring Gabriel Allon, an art restorer, are probably my favorite. David Baldacci’s books (the Camel Club series) are always favorites, where four political watch-dogs keep an eye on government, looking for government conspiracies. Then Stephen King, some I really like, others can be difficult. Yet, I keep reading them.

What are you working on now? 
There will be one more book in the Shakespeare in the Vineyard series, but I have started a new series, as yet untitled. An old jail, earlier a music store, is now a glass studio, something I know about. The building was left to my protagonist by her grandmother and is now called Sundance Studio.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre? Which one and why? 
I’m trying my hand writing a cozy, mentioned above. The switch from suspense to cozy has given me a few problems. Cozies are thought of as “gentle” books with no graphic violence, no profanity, or explicit sex (which I don’t write).

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be? 
Can I admit I still don’t know?



by Carole Price
Cait Pepper, owner of the Bening Estate vineyards, and navy SEAL Royal Tanner return to help friends who recently acquired a vineyard in Livermore, California. Sadie, an Amish girl, and her husband, Luke Sloane, are excited about their new adventure of owning their own vineyard until agents from the Drug Enforcement Agency knock on their door. When Luke bought the property, he neglected to check the previous owners’ background and didn’t know about their drug connections. Desperate to save her friends from danger and embarrassment, Cait is torn between helping the Sloanes or the actors in her Shakespeare Festival. Will Cait’s cop skills be enough to save the Sloanes from the drug dealer—and the DEA—while avoiding another tragedy that could put her Shakespeare Festival in peril?

Amazon        Barnes & Noble        Kobo        Indiebound


Carole Price is a Buckeye! Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, she attended The Ohio State University. She worked for a national laboratory in northern California before turning to writing mysteries. Carole fell in love with the Bard after attending plays at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland. She graduated from the Citizens Police Academy and is an active police volunteer for the Livermore Police Department, a member of Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. She actively promotes her books at conferences, literary groups, and many other venues. Carole and her husband reside in the San Francisco Bay Area in the middle of wine country.

Website       Facebook      Twitter       Blog



15 comments:

HiDee said...

I love how you've taken your experiences and turned them into a unique series. Thanks for sharing with us today!

Rena said...

Sounds like a terrific book!

Saralyn said...

Carole, you've accomplished a lot as a writer. A series, a new genre, a Shakespeare "revival." All of your books sound great to this reader!

Carole Price said...

Thanks for having me today, HiDee. This reminds me that I need at least one more book in my Shakespeare series.

Carole Price said...

Thanks, Rena. You've always been a good supporter of my efforts.

Carole Price said...

Saralyn, thanks for your comments. I only wish I had started writing earlier.

Geza said...

Great Interview Carole! I'll hope to get into the series this summer.

Daniella Bernett said...

Carole,

Great interview. It provides insight into you and your writing. Your series sounds terrific.

Steven M. Moore said...

I love these "peeks" into the private lives of authors. While they are often just ordinary people from the wide and diverse spectrum of humanity, it's always fun to meet the person "behind the book."
Carole's Vineyard series is on my TBRoR-list ("To Be Read or Reviewed"). I'm trying to knock that down a wee bit this summer.
Thanks HiDee and Carole for such a good interview.
r/Steve

Nancy A. Hughes said...

"OH.." Hey, Carol, your books sound like just what I need. I wonder which is your favorite, but rather than ask, I'll start in the beginning. Even with your short answers, I can see the world you've created. Congratulations for your stick-to-it-ness, which will give readers endless hours of pleasure. All the best, Nancy p.s. "...IO." ;-)

authorlindathorne said...

What a great idea for a series and a catchy name. I bet your setting comes alive since it's where you've lived.

Kathleen Kaska said...

Carole,
I like how you put a twist on an intriguing idea, followed your desire to write, and used your active imagination, to create a great success!

Carole Price said...

Thanks everyone for posting a comment. If you get a chance to read my books, I'm always open to positive or negative comments. It's a good way to learn.
.
Steve, I always read an author's background.

Nancy, my books can be read as a standalone. Starting with #1 is a good idea. OHIO BUCKEYE

Linda, it definitely is easier if you're familiar with the area. Unless you make a mistake...then you will hear about it.


Lynn said...

I love your interest in living life! Thank you for being on our blog and sharing your writing.

Keith Steinbaum said...

Carole, your interview revealed a person with interests that lend themselves to a good story, not just the plot but the environment in which they take place. I imagine there's some great descriptions throughout the book. I also like the fact that you've been working with the police department for a number of years and have learned about proper procedures. This certainly will lend your story more credibility when it comes to the nitty-gritty of crime solving work.