Tuesday, June 11, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Tuesday Special: Kilts and Catnip


ZOE TASIA


by Zoe Tasia

Magical danger lurks in the forest.
But Greg Gillie, a handsome Scot with a mysterious past, protects the Shrouded Isle and the lands beyond from the mischievous, dangerous fae.

A woman arrives disturbing the wee folk.
Greg’s task becomes harder when American widow, Becca Shaw and her two daughters vacation there. As each day passes, more fae steal away from the forest hill and menace the people in the village, Thistle.

Can this exodus be stopped? 
As Becca encounters an array of magical creatures, she strives to repair her relationship with her two still-grieving girls and befriend the suspicious villagers. Greg and Becca must work together to solve the mystery of why the fae are escaping and discover how to prevent it while they struggle with their blossoming feelings for one another.

For their sake and the sake of the world, let’s hope they’re up to the task.
Kilts and Catnip, the first book in a new fantasy series, is filled with sweet romance, delightful humor, and exciting adventure.

Amazon           Barnes & Noble          Kobo



An unexpected encounter at the village grocery…

The door flew open with a bang. Two wolves burst from the basement, tumbling over each other in their haste to get out. The smallest jumped on top of the counter. The larger one slinked out from behind it. That wolf, all black except its gray legs and muzzle, bared its teeth. The wolves were huge. Even the small brindled one looked like it outweighed me. I glanced back. Kay and Tate had reached the exit and waited for us. I froze, inanely torn between leaving money on the counter, maybe a note, or just leaving.

“Becca, Jessie. Come now!”

The panic in Kay’s voice and Jess’s tug on my arm decided me. The hackles raised on both animals, making them appear even larger. The smaller one sniffed the air then howled. He leapt to the floor, putting him mere feet away from Jess and me. Jessie gasped as I pushed her behind me.

“Back out slowly,” I whispered as I tried to remember what you were supposed to do around a wild dog.

My mind went blank. I wanted to run, but I didn’t want my back exposed to them. My eyes darted back and forth at the shelves, hoping to find a broom or something. As I crept back, my hand brushed the items on the shelves.

“Here, doggie, come here!” Jessie called.

I turned. Jessie had snuck to the next aisle and torn open a package of tuna. She waved it to get the wolf’s attention.

“Jessica! Get to the door!” I squeaked, managing not to yell. No freaking out the wolves, Becca.

I couldn’t see the large one, but said a quick prayer that it found the meat department. The smaller wolf sniffed and weaved around to the aisle where Jess stood. I backed more quickly and sidestepped to reach her just as the wolf did. Jess placed the package in the center of the aisle and backed away.

“Good doggie—you’re a good doggie. Tuna is way better than icky people,” Jessie crooned.

The wolf sniffed the fish and then lapped up some. Something bumped my hip. I wheeled around. The other wolf had flanked us. This time I couldn’t contain myself and shrieked. The wolves shied, their claws chattered on the tile as they scrambled back. I swallowed an eep.

“Go!” I shoved Jessie toward the door where Tate and Kay waited, Tate’s hands gesturing for us to come. I raced after Jess.

“We tried to get your attention, but we didn’t want to startle the wolf,” Kay said as she threw open the door.

The girls ran out. Kay and I fled seconds later. Just as I was pulling the door closed, the larger wolf leapt up, hitting it, and slammed it shut. The wolf rested its front paws on the wood and stared through the glass at us with intelligence showing in the dark eyes. Raising its head, it let out a spine-chilling howl.



###

As a child, Zoe Tasia idolized Barbara Eden, star of I Dream of Jeannie. However, she would have ditched the astronaut and married Captain Kirk. She can't blink and make magic nor did she wed a Starfleet officer. Instead, life had something better in store for her. She explores her imagination as a writer, is married to an understanding Greek, has two grown sons, and a crazy cat that thinks it's a dog. Zoe grew up in Oklahoma and lived over seven years in Scotland. Now she resides in the great state of Texas, where everything's bigger and better, or so she's told by the natives. When she's not giving her make-believe friends full rein, she enjoys the opera, ballet, well-chilled champagne and books, lots and lots of books. Her fantasy series, The Shrouded Isle, begins with Kilts and Catnip.

Zoe Tasia also co-writes books with Minette Lauren under the pen name Zari Reede.
Daisy Dukes 'n Cowboy Boots, a funny romance
Blinked, a zany fantasy
Sins of the Sister, a psychological thriller

Facebook          Twitter        Instagram           Goodreads         Website



13 comments:

HiDee said...

I'm definitely wondering what's going to happen here. Thank you for sharing this, Zoe!

Anonymous said...

I am SO sorry, HIDee. It's been one of those crazy weeks - hot water heater went out, among other things. Thank you for featuring Kilts and Catnip. I enjoyed this scene since it featured Jessie. I have a Halloween short story partially written from her point of view that I plan to share soon.
Thanks again for this opportunity!
Zoe Tasia

Saralyn said...

Interesting concept! Congrats, Zoe!

Nancy A. Hughes said...

What an incredible imagination Zoe has! I love Scotland, but never imagined here could be--Fae? This mystery surely will fascinate and engross readers of all ages. Dare we hope there will be a sequel?

Anonymous said...

I have read this story and can tell you it is inventive, romantic, fantasy, mystery and the best cozy adventure set in Scotland ever. Don’t miss the chance to find a new author with amazing world building talents. ~ M.L.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful fantasy in a dreamy Scottish setting. I loved the book! -M.L.

Anonymous said...

Intriguing storyline that keeps you engaged throughout the book. Romance, mystery, humor, magical creatures, villagers with secrets … all experienced through the eyes of a reluctant heroine.

Unknown said...

When I read this I imagine the Jurassic Park scene with the velociraptors! Can't wait to read more!

Daniella Bernett said...

I love Scotland and the people. It sounds like the perfect setting for your intriguing novel. Who wouldn't want to get lost in Scotland with a good book?

Regina Jeffers said...

Great excerpt, Zoe. Has me wondering what happens next...

Steven M. Moore said...

HiDee and Zoe,
I loved Kilts and Catnip. I reviewed it on my blog. I'm a sucker for anything Celtic.
r/Steve

June Trop said...

Zoe, An imaginative book like yours is just what we need for an escape this summer-- or any time of year. Thanks to you and HiDee for the taste of pure fun.

RT Wolfe said...

Might be the best title ever. Good luck!
-R.T. Wolfe