Tuesday, April 16, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Tuesday Special: Murder in the One Percent

Saralyn Richard

Someone comes to the party with murder in his heart and poison in his pocket.

by Saralyn Richard
When old friends gather for a weekend retreat at a country mansion, no one anticipates how their lives will be changed—or that one of them will turn up dead. Remote and serene, the Campbells’ horse farm is the perfect setting for a lavish party. The guests, members of the country’s elite wealthiest one percent, indulge in gourmet food, fine wines, Cuban cigars—but greed, lust, and jealousy insinuate themselves into the party.

Playboy and ex-Secretary of the Treasury, Preston Phillips, brings his new trophy wife to the party, unaware that his first love, the woman he jilted at the altar years ago, will be there, enchanting him once more with her timeless beauty. A snowstorm, an accident, and an illicit rendezvous later, the dynamics crackle with tension.

When Detective Oliver Parrott is charged with solving the untimely killing of one of America’s leading financial wizards, he realizes this will be the case to make—or break—his career.


Autographed print book           Amazon review link
 
 
About Saralyn: 
Award-winning mystery and children’s book author, Saralyn Richard, is a writer, who teaches on the side. Her children’s picture book, Naughty Nana, has reached thousands of children worldwide. Murder in the One Percent, semi-finalist in the Chanticleer CLUE awards for best suspense/thriller, pulls back the curtain on the privileged and powerful rich. Set on a gentleman’s farm in Pennsylvania and in the tony areas of New York, the book shows what happens when someone comes to a party with murder in his heart and poison in his pocket. Look for the sequel, A Palette for Love and Murder, at the end of this year. Saralyn has published stories, articles, and poems in a variety of collections and magazines, and she edited the anthology, Burn Survivors’ Journey. A member of International Thriller Writers and Mystery Writers of America, Saralyn teaches creative writing and a literature class. Her website is www.saralynrichard.com.
 

16 comments:

HiDee said...

Country mansion. Horse farm. Sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for sharing with us Saralyn!

Saralyn said...

Thanks for hosting me today. The Write Way Cafe is the perfect spot for Murder in the One Percent to visit. Detective Parrott is a big coffee drinker, but the dinner party menu in the book is to die for!

Anonymous said...

I have read this wonderful mystery and couldn’t put it down. Loved reading a book about these wealthy characters and imaginative murder weapon. It kept me guessing until the end.~ Minette Lauren

Kathleen Kaska said...

I've read Saralyn's compelling mystery, Murder in the One Percent, and highly recommend it. If you like Agatha Christie mysteries, you'll love this one!

Zoe Tasia said...

Excellent read! I'm looking forward to book 2!

Steven M. Moore said...

Saralyn and HiDee combine to make my afternoon more pleasant. Thank you!
I've read Saralyn's book and loved it. First, it brought childhood memories of reading Christie's popular mysteries, Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express where you have everyone in a group of rich and famous people as suspects. Second, it's modern day with some of the underbelly of NYC thrown in to make things interesting. Third, Saralyn created a great detective in Oliver, a Poirot for our times.
I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel!
r/Steve

Anonymous said...

Your plot sounds perfect for a film adaptation or maybe even a television series.
Thrilled for your success and looking forward to the sequel.

Cardyn Brooks

June Trop said...

Parrott is the perfect guest to invite to your mansion on a blustery evening. Never mind what's on the menu. All you need is a murder.

Daniella Bernett said...

Ooh, murder among the rich and powerful. Your book sounds deliciously intriguing.

Keith Steinbaum said...

Saralyn, unfortunately I don't get through books as quickly as I'd like but this one is on my tbr list. Seems like a fun, engaging page turner.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Saralyn,

This sounds like a wonderful read! You should be crowned the new Agatha Christie.
Best wishes for your continued success in mystery writing.

Saralyn said...

Thanks to all of you who commented. Your feedback means a lot. Connecting with readers and other writers is the biggest joy of this business!

authorlindathorne said...

I wish I could read books by all the authors I know because of groups I belong to or because we share the same publisher, Black Opal Books. I can't. Your book cover had a synopsis that sounded like the type of mystery I'm drawn to the most. I found the time to read it and I'm so glad I did. I know I'll make time for your next book as well.

authorlindathorne said...

I truly enjoyed this book. I wish I could read more by author friends I'm connected to through a common publisher or other author groups I belong to. I just can't. I couldn't resist reading this though. The synopsis was just my type of mystery. The book cover is to die for. I was not disappointed. Great read.

Laura Elvebak said...

Loved this book. Wonderful imagination. The characters were so well drawn I felt I knew them.

authorlindathorne said...

Yikes. I didn't think my 1st comment went through, so I sent a 2nd, different one, and now I see both have appeared, like I don't manage my memory well. Trust me folks, I may be getting up in years, but my mind is still sound (knock on wood it stays that way). Just a glitch.