Thursday, April 11, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Tanisha Jones: Inspired by History

The Write Way Café welcomes Tanisha Jones, an author whose books are inspired by her love of history.


When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book?
I’ve never not wanted to write a book. I’ve been writing since I was like eleven years old and I’ve told stories and put on plays with my dolls for as long as I could remember. It was just something I’ve always done.

What was your path to getting Captured by Clio written and published? 
I started with an idea I had after seeing a picture someone had drawn modernizing the Greek muses. Years ago, I’d had an idea of writing about the muses but after seeing that picture the focus kind of changed and grew into the modernization where not all of the muses would be women. Just the concept of a Muse. I was going to try to write each book in a different genre. Clio was supposed to be steampunk, but once the characters formed, it was more contemporary, more fun.

What type of research did you do? 
I have always loved history and New Orleans has sooo much history that doing a pirate story seemed natural. I mean many of the locations mentioned in the story actually still stand. My mom worked as a police officer in the French Quarter for years, she was stationed at many historic locations including Madam John’s Legacy, so I knew the stories and the history. I just needed to lock down some dates and research the Caribbean and possible outcomes to the Jean Lafitte legend. It was fun.

Where did the idea for your story come from? 
My love of history. I just found the idea of a female Indiana Jones interesting and kind of inspiring. The idea of this woman, this girl who has an adventurous spirit and her family supports her. I love the fact that she kind of inhabits all of the attributes we give to male characters like this daring, adventurous young woman who doesn't need or want to be tied down. She doesn't need a man to save her from her boring predictable life. I thought it would be fun to have the man be the uptight, rigid professor type and have the heroine be more adventurous. I also like the idea of having African American characters do this. I haven’t seen or read many stories with African American female treasure hunters, but I know there must be some out there. Somewhere.

Why did you pick the setting you did? 
Because I am a born and bred New Orleanian. This city is amazing and there are so many stories to tell. The history, the mystique. Before Katrina, New Orleans was like it’s own little microcosm. I hate to say with the influx of hipsters, they are trying to take what is so fun and unique about the place and turn it into something somewhat generic. I love the romantic side of the city. It has so much to offer.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself? 
All of my characters are imaginary but have traits of people I know, and some of my own. I don’t usually see it until I’ve finished the story, but there are tiny touches of everyone in there. Sometimes it’s a saying or a mannerism, but they're in there. Like the term “Bastard hole” is something my sister said in conversation and it made the cut. I just thought it was hilarious.

Did you face any blocks while writing Captured by Clio, and if so, how did you handle them? 
I face blocks all of the time, just because I’m still in treatment (I have Stage IV Metastatic breast Cancer, sucks but hey could be worse) and have a full time job and am a single parent to a teen-aged daughter. Mostly it’s energy. I get so tired that I fall asleep before I can get going. But I never really have writer’s block. If I take too long to get back to a story my characters kind of invade my thoughts and dreams to remind me to get back to work. It’s kind of annoying, almost like having kids sometimes. It's like having several people pulling at you at once. You have a set idea of what you want to do, this plan of how things are going to progress. With kids, plans never go smoothly. You think they're going to be one way, but after awhile, you realize, they are their own person, they have their own personalities and just because you want them to react or respond a certain way doesn't mean they will. We have the best ideals of who our kids will be until they show us who they are. And that can be really annoying, but in a wonderfully special way.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing the book and after?
The amount of work that goes into it. And the money. I’m an indie author so I spend as much time writing and editing as I do marketing. It’s constant. Just posting to social media and trying to get your name out. I did have an agent but I felt that I was wasting her time since I wasn’t making any sales and publishers didn’t seem interested, so I cut ties. I felt like I was floundering and at least now, I feel like this is my engine to run. I also found it strange that people sometimes don’t know where to put me because I also write paranormal romance. I learned that even though the world has progressed, I still feel that there is almost a bias about African American or multicultural characters. I’ve found it’s harder to gain any traction if your characters are people of color and you aren’t writing like Toni Morrison or something inspirational or very Urban. But I press on.  I’ll carve the path for others if I need to.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about history professors, treasures, and Caribbean pirates?
I have academics in my blood (I come from a line of teachers, accountants, engineers, etc). I’ve worked on college campuses and have even been asked by my own professors if I’d take that route. And as much as I think I would love to teach, I think I am more suited to story telling. I did discover a lot about coastal flow, erosion, and currents. And even a little about diving, but I didn’t want to bog the story down in technicalities. I did learn that I want to learn to scuba dive though.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you. 
I usually write in bed, because it’s quiet and comfortable. When I have that peace right before falling asleep is usually when I’m most focused. I have an office, but I like the calm, quiet semi darkness of my bedroom. Sometimes, I’ll venture into my living room when I’m home alone. I have a very comfy living room with a breeze from the open patio door, really nice. I’m thinking about creating a nice space on my patio as well. Comfort is key with me.

What are some of your favorite books and why? 
This list could go on forever, but I’ll stick to a few. One of my all time favorites is To Kill a Mockingbird.  I’ve always loved it. I do love J.K Rowling and how she created an entire world and the stories that come from that. But I love Charlaine Harris, Anne Rice and L.A. Banks. I love Stephen King and J.R. Ward. Humor is always great in a story… It just depends on my mood. I think as long as the story is good I will read it.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine? 
Oh wow. I did love Sookie Stackhouse, I thought she was fun. But I think most of the heroines I like are my own. Is that weird? I really like the women in my Fallen Series and I think Clio and Calie from modern Muses are great. I am especially fond of a couple of characters from some of my short stories, just because they are unexpected. That’s what I like, heroes and heroines who are more than they seem. Clio has a great line where she tells Noah, “I am rarely what anyone expects”, I think that sums it up perfectly.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble? 
Editing myself. I am a wordy birdie, but its mostly descriptive. I like to write exactly what I picture to try to give others the same feeling I have of being in that space. Everything down to the feel of the carpet.

What are you working on now? 
I’m currently working on the third book in my Fallen series Unbound and I’ve outlined the second in the Muses series Tempting Titus. Hopefully they will both come out this year.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre? Which one and why? 
I’ve done contemporary and paranormal romance. I think my next will be sci fi or horror. I have ideas for both. Both based on short stories I’ve written.

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be? 
 I’ve always wanted to own my own bookstore/coffee shop. But I think I’d probably be an English Professor. Or independently wealthy.(I’m still working on that one.)

The last time Clio saw Noah, he was laughing at her. Now she needs him to help her solve a family mystery that could literally make history. Swallowing her pride, she comes face to face with the arrogant boy who some how has become a dangerously sexy man. With no other choice, she makes him the offer he's waited for his entire life.

Noah had to admit, the adorable pixie of a woman intrigued him as much as she frustrated him. She'd come blazing back into his life like a tiny tornado when his life was crumbling around him. Her offer was one he would be crazy to refuse especially when everything he'd worked so hard to achieve was ashes. The chance to sail the sun soaked Caribbean in search of sunken treasure was tempting.

But her hazel eyes tempted him even more.

Amazon

Non-Amazon shops


Tanisha Jones grew up in the greater New Orleans area. She received a BA from Southern University, New Orleans in Literature.She still lives in the New Orleans area with her daughter, the Mississippi River on one side, the bayou on the other. When not reading or writing, she’s cooking, baking or spending time with family. She is also a proud survivor of stage IV Breast Cancer.
     In 2013, she completed her first novel, The First to Fall, the first in the Fallen series. Recently, she completed the second book in the series, Mark of the Fallen. She has also released Captivated by Clio, the first in a new contemporary romance series based on the mythological Greek muses all based in modern day New Orleans, Modern Mises. Currently, she’s working on the third Fallen novel, Unbound.

Website          Twitter          Facebook          Instagram

2 comments:

HiDee said...

Great interview, Tanisha. I can feel your passion for history in your comments. Thanks for sharing your books with us today!

Melly said...

You are one of my favorite authors! There are not many writers who can completely draw me into their world with fully developed characters and great story lines. Just keep swimming!