Thursday, March 7, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Co-writing—Double the Fun or Double the Trouble?

The Write Way Café welcomes Zoe Tasia. She opens up about writing as a member of a team.

My friend, Minette says: “Wanna write a book together?”

I say: “Cool. Sure.”
 Then we skipped off singing, 
“Ho height!  Ho height! It’s off we go to write, la-la-la-la!”
Okay, that’s not how it started. I complained to Minette about writing (rather, about NOT writing), so she sent me a few paragraphs encouraging me to add to the story. Yeah, right, I thought. (I got the inside track on snark. *wink*) After numerous nudges, I did. This exercise resulted in our first book, Daisy Dukes ’n Cowboy Boots.  We didn’t stop there. We now have three published books, two completed manuscripts awaiting editing, and are currently working on a time travel romance.
Two! Two! Two writers for the price of one! (I’m the emo one.)
How do you write together? This is the most common question I get. Easy, we bounce the story back and forth like a tennis ball. Really, it’s a challenge and I love that.  The story may (and probably, in our case, will) take weird, unexpected turns. The tricky part is keeping the story going and your writing interesting.

 (I write much better than I play tennis. I swear!)
Our first book is a romance. I don’t read or write romances, typically. I had a character visit the bathroom. No pooping in romance, Minette, who does enjoy romance, told me. (Hey, I live with guys. Potty humor abounds.)

You’d never see this in a bookstore window. 
(Nothing was said about no poop in this article.)
Then, I killed someone. Oopsies, sorry—not sorry. Too grim for a light-hearted romance, Minette said, so that scene was deleted.  (He didn’t die, but the poor guy went through a lot.)

As much as I love it, problems with writing together do exist. Showing instead of telling in a book is crucial. We have to work on this during edits because during writing, we try to get across what we have in mind through prose and dialogue. Telling = bad. It’s tough.

show don't tell
Now this book REALLY is good at showing, not telling.
We don’t want to limit each other creatively. On the other hand, if one of us has a direction we want to go and think would be absolutely cool for the story, it can be very frustrating when that path is cut off.

Let’s go THIS WAY. Follow me!
With co-writing, communication is key. We’re pantsers when we write together up to midway through the book. NOT the way I write alone. But I feel shifting gears and working in a different way makes my writing, overall, much better.

We basically take turns and write approximately 1K words each turn. We’ve tried longer and shorter and just feel this works best for us. We trust each other and we are willing to compromise. Since one of us is always waiting for the other to send the manuscript back, we try to be very respectful of each other’s time. Pantsing is like tightrope walking without a net and kinda scary for me, since I don’t do it. But I tend to be more adventurous when writing as Zari Reede. I’m secure that WE can write anything.
It’s a little nerve-wracking, but I’m doing it!
There are many ways to collaborate. I know people who get on Google Docs (these days, there are numerous options for simultaneous writing on one document} and work at the same time. Slinging dialogue at each other—sounds fun.
Convo nugget comin’ your way!
Other authors agree that each will write one character’s POV (point of view) and alternate chapters. This works very well for romance that often has two POVs, one for each lover. I’ve also seen authors who have one person write the first draft and the other edits. Wowzers, that must entail much co-outlining, discussion, and planning.

I won’t lie. Co-writing isn’t for everyone. But you’ll never know if you don’t try. So, tap a fellow author. Dare ‘em. I’m betting they’ll step up to the plate.

Batter, batter, batter, SWING!

About Zoe Tasia:
As a child, Zoe Tasia idolized Barbara Eden, star of I Dream of Jeannie, however, she would have ditched the astronaut and married Captain Kirk. She can’t blink and make magic nor did she wed a Starfleet officer. Instead, life had something better in store for her. She explores her imagination as a writer, is married to an understanding Greek, has two grown sons, and a crazy cat that thinks it’s a dog. Zoe grew up in Oklahoma and lived over seven years in Scotland. Now she resides in the great state of Texas, where everything’s bigger and better, or so she’s told by the natives. When she’s not giving her make-believe friends full rein, she enjoys the opera, ballet, well-chilled champagne, and reading, lots and lots of reading. Her first book is Kilts and Catnip ~ The Shrouded Isle Book 1. She co-writes books with Minette Lauren as Zari Reede.

Facebook          Twitter        Instagram           Goodreads        Website

Magical danger lurks in the forest.
But Greg Gillie, a handsome Scot with a mysterious past, protects the Shrouded Isle and the lands beyond from the mischievous, dangerous fae.

A woman arrives disturbing the wee folk.
Greg’s task becomes harder when American widow, Becca Shaw and her two daughters vacation there. As each day passes, more fae steal away from the forest hill and menace the people in the village, Thistle.

by Zoe TasiaCan this exodus be stopped? 
As Becca encounters an array of magical creatures, she strives to repair her relationship with her two still-grieving girls and befriend the suspicious villagers. Greg and Becca must work together to solve the mystery of why the fae are escaping and discover how to prevent it while they struggle with their blossoming feelings for one another.

For their sake and the sake of the world, let’s hope they’re up to the task.
Kilts and Catnip, the first book in a new fantasy series, is filled with sweet romance, delightful humor, and exciting adventure.

Amazon           Barnes & Noble          Kobo






15 comments:

Steven M. Moore said...

Zoe, your adventures in co-writing are enviable. I always admired famous teams like Preston and Child (thrillers) and Niven and Pournelle (sci-fi), so I tried it once. It was a complete failure for reasons I'd rather not go into here.
I do believe the internet and computer software makes it a lot easier to team up, though. We're basically teaming up with an editor when we "track changes" with MS Word--why not another author?
However, I now satisfy my yen for co-authoring with my alter-ego, A. B. Carolan, a great fellow from Donegal who's in charge of my YA sci-fi mystery series.
r/Steve

HiDee said...

I've always thought it would be fun to be part of a writing team. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

Nancy A. Hughes said...

Zoe, I second (or is it third for you two?) Steven's comments. Your books are such fun to read, but beyond that, well crafted and beautifully written. Even with a two-some, that doesn't just flow into the keys! I'd ask where you get your ideas, but I bet they come bubbling to the surface of your creative minds. Congratulations, and please keep 'em coming. Your books are a perfect antidote to all the awful things we read about in the media.

Zari Reede said...

Cute post! I never get tired of hearing our co-writing story and I love the added pics. Creative as always. Best~Minette

Saralyn said...

Love this upbeat post. It's a joy to read, just like your creative and imaginative books. Whatever your system, keep it up--it's adding sunshine to the literary world.

Kathleen Kaska said...

You and Minette make a great team! Collaborating on a book is difficult, but you make it sound wonderfully simple. Great interview.

Zoe Tasia said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm lucky I have a wonderfully creative friend in Minette, who puts up with me and my antics. (That emo remark wasn't totally in jest.) With three books (hers, mine and ours) coming out almost simultaneously, it's been difficult to get much writing done at the moment, but I hope we'll get back on track soon. i miss it. Writing together is the best of both worlds. You get to tell a story and read one all at the same time.

Zoe Tasia said...

Thank you, HiDee, for giving me this opportunity to share my writing experience as a co-author. I had fun!

Lynn said...

Thank you for being on our blog today and sharing such an interesting topic.

Zoe Tasia said...

Cheers, Lynn. This is my inaugural experience with guest blogging. I couldn't have asked for a nicer one!

Unknown said...

Nicely put!, Zoe. I miss it as well. I too thank everyone for their kind comments about our books together :)~Minette Lauren

Daniella Bernett said...

Zoe,

Your post provides a wonderful glimpse into your collaboration with Minette. It can be difficult, but at the same time as you've shown how two unique perspectives can work together because of a mutual love of the craft of writing. I wish the two of you continued success.

Zoe Tasia said...

Thank you, Daniella. It's an interesting challenge and prior to this, I never would have thought I could write with anyone. I am so not a team player. But Minette hasn't killed me yet for being a maverick element. Ask her about the coconut pie incident.

As for you, Ms. Lauren...is it my turn to write or yours?

Roman Empire Mystery Lover said...

Oh, I think it would be great fun to work with someone, but I'm not sure I'd get much done beyond having fun what-iffing. But you, Zoe? You and Minette have turned it into magic. And I'm so glad you have. June Trop

June Zuckerman (writing as June Trop) said...

Zoe, you rock! Your books rock! Your partnership rocks! With admiration for your work and your spirit.