Thursday, January 31, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Dawn Baca Explores Family Themes

The Write Way Café welcomes Dawn Baca, who enjoys the adventure of living and exploring themes of family in her writing.


Tell us a little about your Letting Love In series.
     This whole adventure started as a single story that morphed into a series about a young woman with four sisters, a controlling mother, and all the family drama one could imagine.
     Each of the five sisters will have their own novel and their own love story, with novella length, spin-off stories of key people in the series. The first book in the Letting Love In series, Her Guarded Heart, tells the story of Addison’s experience in Russia where, while studying abroad, she falls in love.
     The second book, Her Heart’s Desire is a spin-off novella and tells part one of the story of Sophie, the French roommate Addison had in book one. Right now, I’m writing the second part of Sophie’s story, another novella.
     The series itself will follow Addison as she struggles to find balance in her life, and wade through the muck of a dysfunctional family, meeting new people, and having adventures. It’s full of characters and situations that many readers will find (wholly, absolutely, entertainingly) relatable. Partly completely fictional and partly a compilation of my friends and families various experiences.

If Her Guarded Heart and Her Heart’s Desire were made into movies, who would play your main characters, and why?

Addison – Mandy Moore:  Mandy’s got that down to earth girl next door feel to her while being beautiful without it being all you notice about her.

Sergei – Eric Bana:  Eric sports those exotic good looks and easy-going demeanor which reminds me of how easy it is to fall in love with a smile.

Sophie – Natalie Portman:  Natalie is full of fun and laughter and innocence all rolled into a spitfire personality that gets things done

Claude – Scott Eastwood:  Scott’s rugged good looks give you the impression that he would easily get down in the trenches and get his hands dirty which is perfect for a man on a horse farm.

What or who has been instrumental in or to your writing journey?
     I have met dozens of writers over the last few years, and their constant support has helped push me forward even when I didn’t think I had what it took. I would never have even started this journey without the encouragement and initial help from my darling friend Deb Julienne. Not only did I learn so much from her, but we also learned a lot of new things together. Another author, Casey Hagen, has become one of my greatest friends. Her critiques are always spot on and I treasure our friendship.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve been given? What’s your best writing advice for others?
     The best advice given so far is to tell the story the best way you know how. It can always be edited into shape later, so get those words down, and even the best of writers need to be edited, so never skip that step. The second piece is to establish a solid social media platform under your author name long before you publish so that you can build relationships that are not all about pushing your book.
     My advice to others is to write at least three complete books before you even try to publish. The practice will make you a stronger writer, and the experience will prepare you better for the fast pace of the business. Also, take the advice of other authors, both established and those that are in the same place as you. You can always learn and grow from another’s experiences.

What “keepers” are in your home library?
     My home library contains an eclectic array of: JK Rowling (Harry Potter Series), Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody Series), Mary Higgins Clark, Nora Roberts (The key Series, the Irish Sisters Trilogy), Julia Garwood, Kay Hooper (Bishop Series), and Iris Johansen (The Eve Duncan Series) at the moment. Additionally, about two dozen stand-alone romance novels I picked up at the last RWA Conference. Last year I donated a couple hundred Harlequins that I’d had since high school. Since I read diverse genre’s, my tastes are constantly changing, and so are the books on my shelves.

If you could be a character in any book you’ve read (or written), which character would you be and why?
     I would have to pick the Nora Roberts Born In Trilogy. My father was a huge fan and sent me the books. He often said that the main characters reminded him of his three daughters. I often thought that I was similar to Maggie the firstborn, torn by duty and the desire for independence, an often fiery temper, and sharp tongue, and stubborn as only the Irish can be and laughing all the way, my father agreed.

Characters often find themselves in situations they aren’t sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do?
     Oddly enough, I find myself in one of those currently. Every year the hubs take a ‘guys' camping trip. Mind you its not just all guys, some of them take their wives too but, to me, it’s always been a week-long trip, with 40 to 60-year-old men behaving like 12-year olds playing at a college frat party drunk fest, ‘guys’ trip. I usually pass on that experience. This time around, one of our dear friends is bringing his wife and she really wants me to go as well… Again, a bunch of mostly guys sitting around getting rip-roaring drunk for a week out in the desert in early February is not my idea of fun. But it seems I have been outvoted and volun-told that I am going along this year and should be getting ready as well. I can think of a half dozen reasons to bow out. Have tried voicing about half of them come to think of it. However, the guilt trip/peer pressure is wearing me down. I have just about accepted that this is going to happen. Still, I resist. So… how to make the best of the situation… If I am honest, I am currently threatening to find a way to induce food poisoning upon my unsuspecting but thoroughly insistent traveling companions so as to not be invited back next year, lol. (I’m joking.)

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
     Criticism – Many of my initial critique partners often told me that what I write is too personal and dry, and I need to make it less real and more fictional in order to make the story more interesting to read.
     Compliment – A friend I’d lost touch with when we stopped working together more than a decade ago reached out after I published my first book to tell me she loved it. We reconnected and she’s been a great support ever since. She said that I wrote like Robyn Carr and that she had no doubt that, in time I’d become someone else’s new favorite author.

We’re adding books to our Café menu. Would your book be a drink, an appetizer, an entrée, or a dessert? What would you call it?
     I would have to go with an appetizer. Specifically, Crepes filled with melted Brie, and a fruity jam sauce, and I’d name it Decadence.

What is your favorite social media? Why?
     I think Facebook gets that dubious honor. I find it’s a great way to easily connect with so many different types of people, and I’ve reconnected with many long lost friends because of it as well. Also, I won’t lie… I love the cat videos. Having five cats of my own, I’m never far from their constant shenanigans.


And now for the fun stuff!

If you were a hashtag, what would you be?
     #CrazyCatLady – being allergic to cats and dogs now, and having allergy-induced asthma, the doctors and my friends all think I’m certifiable to have so many cats inside. (I can’t help myself)

What is your biggest shopping downfall?
     I’m not a big shopper; in fact, do most of my shopping online now. But when I do buy things that are all about me, it’s usually shoes, wine, and books… in that order.

Are you a dog/cat/other person?
     I’m both. I’ve had 3 dogs, and 8 cats so far. (Currently 5 indoor cats, 1 outdoor cat, 0 dogs) Trying to convince the hubs we need another dog, but he’s still trying to get over the loss of both of our Labs last year…

What is your favorite season and why?
     My favorite season is Fall. It’s the most comfortable here in Central California. The warmth of Summer starts to taper off but the freezing (for me anything under 65 is freezing) hasn’t started yet.

If you had to write with a pen instead of a computer, what type of pen would be your preference?
     I love Blue ink I think its prettier on the page. It’s a weird thing, but I don’t like to write in black ink. I like the gel rollerballs the best because they seem the smoothest to glide across the paper and as a lefty; I tend to press down hard.


Her Guarded Heart






Her Hearts Desire



About Dawn:  An insatiable reader of all genres since her childhood, Dawn is a globetrotter hungry to discover new places and experience unique adventures. She can be found indulging in her husband’s first love of summer camping in the mountains or luxuriating on the open seas while cruising to exotic destinations during the frigid winter months. When she’s not jet-setting she can be found in Central Valley California with her family and their many rescue animals.

Website         Facebook         Twitter             YouTube

Pinterest          Bookbub         Amazon

4 comments:

HiDee said...

I love family-themed stories. Thank you for joining us today, Dawn!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for being on our blog today. Your stories sound wonderful. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Best wishes for your stories! They sound amazing. Loved hearing your answers to these fun questions!

R.T. Wolfe said...

Loved the Key Series. Here's wishing you many sales. :)
-R.T. Wolfe