Thursday, May 15, 2014 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Evelyn Timidaiski

Author Evelyn Timidaiski, W/A Evie Morris, shares with The Write Way Café how her style of research allows her to write vivid scenes.


When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book? Was that first thought related to writing romance?
In Junior High school. I read lots of books and always wanted to change the characters and what they did. In 2011, my daughter and I both started writing a novel. We critiqued each other’s work and supported each other.

What are you working on right now?
Right now I am finishing a Christmas story about a California biker and a Navajo Police Chief. I just completed my favorite novel, “Tiponi-Child of Hope.” It’s currently a finalist in the Winter Rose Contest.

How do you do research?
Of course, like everyone I do much of my research online. With Tiponi, I flew to Arizona and drove around for a week. It’s an experience that must be felt rather than read about. I soaked of the culture, climate and vastness of the canyons. I incorporated the scenery and culture into my book.

Where did the idea for your story come from?
It started with the big media blitz about 2012. I wanted to write a story which included the Mayan prophesy. It kind of took off from there. I based the main character and her quests on the legend of the White Buffalo Calf Woman.

Why did you pick the setting you did?
The setting had to be Arizona, because that’s where it all began. Of course my heroine travels through the Slipstream, flies on a space ship and visits another planet.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
Tiponi is based, somewhat on the legend, but the rest of the characters are pure fiction. Yes, I think my characters absorb my strong sense of right and wrong. They are survivors as I am myself. I find it difficult to write bad guys because I’m so innately “good.”

What do you consider your greatest writing strengths? What gets in your way of writing?
I think my vivid descriptions of scenery and situations are my greatest strength. My personal feelings and moral code hinder my writing sometime. I find it hard to write one night stands, gratuitous sex and violence. Today’s readers want harsh language, too real situations, which make me uncomfortable.  I think much of the true romance has been replaced by reality.

Do you have a favorite playlist for when you write? Classic, rock, pop, none of the above?
I watch TV while I write. It plays in the background. I have to tune it out which makes me more focused when I write.

What is your likely choice for publication, a publisher or self-pubbed?
I hope to publish with a small to medium sized publisher. Of course I wouldn’t turn down a major publisher either.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you.
I’m totally disorganized. I sit in my oversized chair with my two pups and type on my laptop. When I sit at a desk, I feel stilted.

What are some of your favorite books and why?
I love the Longmire series by Craig Johnson. He writes like people speak and his descriptions are fantastic.

Who are your greatest support people for writing?
My son and daughter are very supportive and my critique group FTHRW critiquers are the best.

What is the quirkiest thing you’ve done with your character/s?
My character Brandon Falcon in Jungle Blooms, posed as a corpse on the back of a donkey cart. To add realism to the pose, his friend poured rotten meat and maggots on him. Poor Brandon had to travel all day like this. He even had to listen to the sounds of his own grave being dug.

More about Evelyn: 
I am a former Science teacher and I currently work as an assistant to autistic children. I love to travel and I try to incorporate this into my books, enriching the scenery and making the reader feel like they are there.

I have two grown children and I will finally be a grandmother in August. I find that very exciting. I share my house with a Pomeranian, who thinks it’s her world and I just occupy space in it, and a Miniature Pincer/ Chihuahua, who chews up clothes.

Writing has become my creative outlet. I used to talk a lot. Now, I write a lot.

I welcome you to read about my first successful writing experience on my website, http://missevietalks.com/.





8 comments:

Ana Morgan said...

Evelyn, I am thrilled to learn more about you!

Evelyn Timidaiski said...

Thanks Ana. We spend so much time reading each other's work, that we rarely find out about each other. I happy for the opportunity to share some of my personal thoughts.
Evelyn

HiDee said...

Thanks for being with us today, Evelyn. Tiponi sounds very interesting. Flying to Arizona to soak up the culture sounds like a great adventure!

Evelyn Timidaiski said...

HiDee, when I sat inside a small Anasazi cave on the side of a cliff, it was easy to imagine the footsteps of Native Americans. The vast canyons beckoned one to sit quietly and absorb the history.
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

SO exciting! Maybe I could actually finish reading this one!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis, just want to say hi and let you that I'm very proud and happy for you, Wayne

Evelyn Timidaiski said...

Thanks Wayne, Family have all been so supportive. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting.
Evelyn

Wendi Sotis said...

Hi Evelyn, I loved hearing about how writing with the TV on helps you concentrate better! I never would have thought of that. The story sounds great! Best of luck with it :-)