Tuesday, May 6, 2014 | By: The Write Way Cafe

An Interview with Angela Kay Austin


Multi-talented Angela Kay Austin joins us today at The Write Way Café to share her thoughts about being able to add her own spin on the world through her self-expression.


Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
In all of the books I’ve written so far, my characters are completely fictional.  But, I am working on something now that is built on true historical figures.  But, that’s only how it begin…where it ends is all me.  J

Did you face any blocks while writing the book, and if so, how did you handle them? If not, what's your secret?
I don’t know if I always face blocks, but there is usually a point here or there that may not work like I want, and sometimes it takes a little longer for me to work out whatever the kink may be to get it to work like I want it to.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing the book and after?
I think the surprises I’ve enjoyed most when writing any book involve how sometimes the story just seems to connect without me as a writer purposely trying to make something happen. Sometimes the words flow so well, that when I finish a scene or a chapter, I can’t believe what I just wrote.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you.
Anywhere I can pop out my laptop, and start typing is my writing space.  But, at home, it’s a spare room that has huge windows and a lot of sunlight.  I like to people watch.  It helps a lot when you’re stuck, and need to not focus on anything.

What are some of your favorite books and why?
I have a very long list.  Most of the books on the list have one thing in common…great story telling. They pull you in almost immediately, and don’t let you go until the very last word.  The Yellow House is one of my most recent favorites.  Love it!

What are you working on now?
I’m working on a few pieces.  A Women’s Fiction piece, and a Historical Romance piece.  I love to read historical works, and I guess that love has finally turned into a desire to write one of my own.  And I’ve always loved writing Women’s Fiction.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre?  Which one and why?
I like writing in different genres because it challenges me.  There is a technique to all genres.  The pace, the story development/character development…it’s all different.  And true die-hard fans will let you know when you have it wrong.

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?
Producing some other form of creative expression.  Music, art, something.  Being able to add my own interpretation or spin to the world I live in is what I enjoy.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble?
When a lot of research is involved trimming off the fat to give the readers the parts you need to really pull them into the world you’ve created without boring them is a true art, and can be difficult.  There’s so so much information out there, and sometimes it is hard to shut it off.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine?
In my own books, I love love love Chad Michael.  He’s the hero in my book, Sweet Victory, he is absolutely kind and patient.

About Angela:  Angela Kay Austin has always expressed herself through words.  An infatuation with music and theater led to years playing music and extra roles in TV shows before giving way to a degree and career in radio and TV production.  After completing a second degree in marketing, Angela found herself combining her love for communications and marketing and worked in advertising and promotions for many years.  But, writing called again, which led to her first published work, which hit the best seller list for her publisher and All Romance Ebooks.

Contact Angela through her website or her blog.


Rumer Wilson married the love of her life ten years ago, has two beautiful children, and what she believes is a wonderful life to prove it. But, does anybody ever control love? Her world spirals into an unfamiliar place of uncertainty for everything she holds dear, when her husband falls in love with a woman hiding secrets. 

Sebastian Ortiz has loved many women. Rumer is a means to an end. He doesn’t want to hurt her, but he needs her – for revenge on the man who hurt his sister – the sister he’s protected from harm his whole life. 

Neither Rumer nor Sebastian could imagine what comes next...

Rumer is available on Amazon.





4 comments:

HiDee said...

Thanks for being with us today, Angela!

RT Wolfe said...

Lovely post. Beautiful cover. Best wishes!
-R.T. Wolfe

Angela said...

Thanks for allowing me to visit!

Becky Lower said...

Your book sounds intriguing! And has a beautiful cover. Congrats.