Thursday, November 7, 2019 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Welcome Back to Brandywine Valley with Saralyn Richard

The Write Way Café welcomes Saralyn Richard, who returns readers to the last place anyone would expect a murder and Detective Oliver Parrott's jurisdiction.

Tell us a little about A Palette for Love and Murder.
by Saralyn Richard
COMING IN 2020!
     Welcome back to Brandywine Valley, Pennsylvania. The scenery is lush, the mansions are huge, and the secrets run deep. Detective Oliver Parrott’s next case takes us to the ancestral home of Blake Allmond, a renowned artist, whose paintings have been stolen from the studio on his property. Before Parrott can get a foothold on the case, Allmond is murdered in his second home in New York’s Gramercy Park. It’s out of Parrott’s jurisdiction, but he can’t help thinking the two crimes are related, and he’s got the itch to work on both.
     What Parrott doesn’t realize is that Blake Allmond’s life is full of mystery, and the theft of the paintings turns into a treasure hunt and search for a killer—and then the investigation becomes personal.

How is this book related to Murder in the One Percent?
     In Murder in the One Percent, we meet Detective Parrott, a former college football star whose fiancée is serving in her second tour of duty as a Navy helicopter pilot in Afghanistan. Parrott’s just been promoted to detective in the swanky Brandywine Valley, where people spend more on their horses per month than Parrott earns. His strong moral compass and dedication to the job bolster him as he investigates an apparent murder in a country mansion following an elaborate party. His job is made harder by the pressure brought to bear by the rich and powerful one percenters, who close rank on him at every turn.
     After Murder in the One Percent was released, I began receiving feedback from readers who wanted “more Parrott.” Apparently Parrott’s struggles with the “establishment” has resonated with readers, and he has become a hero to root for again. Parrott’s character, his relationship with Tonya, and the exotic location of Brandywine Valley offer fertile ground for another mystery.
     In A Palette for Love and Murder, Parrott trades horse folks for art folks. Some of the same characters reappear in the new book, but the sequel can also be read as a stand-alone.

How did you become involved with the subject or theme of A Palette for Love and Murder
     I’ve visited Brandywine Valley many times. It’s one of the most naturally beautiful and serenely peaceful places I’ve ever been, the last place someone would expect a murder to occur. Because of the rustic landscape and wonderful light, the area attracts artists, many of whom have achieved success among America’s best. The Brandywine River Museum, one of the best regional art museums in the country, inspires me with its collections, as well as its educational features. My visits there have motivated me to write about the Brandywine art community.

Who is your favorite character from A Palette for Love and Murder and why? 
     You’re asking me to choose a favorite from among my children—quite impossible to do, since I love all of my characters for varying reasons. Of course, Parrott is a favorite, and in this book we see him at his worst and at his best, as he meets challenges, both professional and personal. Tonya, who is back from Afghanistan, plays a larger role in this story, and I admire her strength and resilience. Another favorite is Elle Carmichael, Blake Allmond’s live-in girlfriend, who has reinvented herself once before, and finds she must do so again.

How about your least favorite character?  What makes them less appealing to you?
     The obvious answer to this question, when the book is a murder mystery, is the murderer, and there’s no way I would spoil that. There are characters whose flaws stand out, and I wouldn’t want to go on vacation with them or work at the desk next to theirs. But none of my characters are all bad, and none are all good either. Everyone has an intriguing role to play.

Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular image/artwork?
     I’m incredibly fortunate to have the advice and expertise from two talented artists, Jack at my publisher, Black Opal Books, and Rebecca Evans. I wanted a cover that would tie in with that of Murder in the One Percent, but one that reflected the sinister nature of the art world in A Palette for Love and Murder. The cover you see is the culmination of many discussions, and ultimately Rebecca’s finish. If you look closely, you’ll find the artist’s palette is more than just globs of paint.

Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book.
     Without giving too much away, I’ll say that many of the experts I consulted in the writing of this book came from such diverse occupations as:  banker, baker, death services manager, priest, entertainer, community college student, veteran, artist, police detective, and butler.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? 
     I’m an avid lifetime reader, so there are many writers whose works have inspired me—Agatha Christie, Michael Connelly, John Irving, Barbara Kingsolver, to name a few. But the writer who has taught me the most about the craft and the process is the amazingly talented Ann Weisgarber, author of The Personal History of Rachel Dupree, The Promise, and The Glovemaker. Ann’s wisdom extends from the esoteric to the mundane. I can’t imagine this journey without her.

Do you have any unique talents or hobbies? 
     I teach creative writing and a “literary tapas” class, in which we explore pieces of literature using the Socratic method. I’ve worked as a legal secretary, party consultant, babysitter, teacher, administrator, and school improvement consultant. I make delicious salads and Star Wars pancakes. I also have more than a passing interest in fantasy football, although I’m not a football fan.

Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published? 
     My main advice to writers, and part of every assignment in my creative writing class, is to have fun. If you’re not having fun while writing, the reader won’t have fun while reading your work. Part of having fun is being open to trying new things, both in writing and in reading.

What can readers who enjoy your books do to help make them successful? 
     Word of mouth is the best way to help a book to be noticed and read. I’m so grateful when readers recommend my books to book club members and other readers and write reviews. I love to hear from readers, too, and I enjoy attending organization meetings or book discussions, either in person or by FaceTime.

What can we expect from you in the future? 
     A Palette for Love and Murder will be released on February 15. Next is a stand-alone mystery that takes place in an urban high school. My current work in progress involves friendship, bullying, and murder. Someday I’d like to complete a historical novel I started long ago, based on the 1900 Storm in Galveston, Texas.


Someone comes to the party with murder in his heart and poison in his pocket.

by Saralyn Richard
When old friends gather for a weekend retreat at a country mansion, no one anticipates how their lives will be changed—or that one of them will turn up dead. Remote and serene, the Campbells’ horse farm is the perfect setting for a lavish party. The guests, members of the country’s elite wealthiest one percent, indulge in gourmet food, fine wines, Cuban cigars—but greed, lust, and jealousy insinuate themselves into the party.

Playboy and ex-Secretary of the Treasury, Preston Phillips, brings his new trophy wife to the party, unaware that his first love, the woman he jilted at the altar years ago, will be there, enchanting him once more with her timeless beauty. A snowstorm, an accident, and an illicit rendezvous later, the dynamics crackle with tension.

When Detective Oliver Parrott is charged with solving the untimely killing of one of America’s leading financial wizards, he realizes this will be the case to make—or break—his career.


Amazon         Barnes & Noble        Black Opal Books        Website bookstore


Watch for A Palette for Love and Money
coming in February 2020!


     Award-winning mystery and children’s book author, Saralyn Richard, is a writer who teaches on the side. Winner of the Killer Nashville Silver Falchion Readers’ Choice 2019 Award, and first in the Detective Parrott series, Murder in the One Percent pulls back the curtain on the privileged and powerful rich.
     Kirkus says about it, "An Everyman detective is asked to solve a murder in a wealthy community in which ample motives and abundant resources make everyone a suspect. Detective Oliver Parrott, who takes charge of the case, is so struck by the partygoers' consensual impressions of the selfish businessman that he realizes the case may be more about who didn't kill Preston than who did."
   Reviews, media, and tour schedule may be found at www.saralynrichard.com.
   Saralyn's children's book, Naughty Nana, is narrated by the fluffy sheepdog puppy who "just wants to have fun." The now not-so-naughty Nana leads a busy life as a tourism ambassador and guest "barker" at schools and libraries.
   A member of International Thriller Writers and Mystery Writers of America, Saralyn continues to write mysteries. Look for A Palette for Murder in 2020. Her website is www.saralynrichard.com.

I enjoy meeting readers through social media. Here are my links:

Twitter        Facebook       LinkedIn        Pinterest

Instagram       Goodreads

I am available to meet with book clubs and organization members. Contact me at saralyn@saralynrichard.com.

25 comments:

Lynn said...

Love your writing! Thanks for being on our blog.

Saralyn said...

Thanks so much, Lynn, and HiDee, for hosting me, interviewing me, and supporting me in this wild and crazy adventure called writing. It's always a pleasure to work with the two of you!

Lori said...

I loved Murder in the One Percent and I am sure I will love this one. Fantastic cover!

Tara Eldana said...

Sounds intriguing! It's on my to read list.

Saralyn said...

Lori and Tara, thank you for reading the interview. So glad to have your comments!

Yvonne Rediger said...

Nice follow up to The One Percent!

Saralyn said...

Thanks, Yvonne. Happy to share with you.

HiDee said...

I cant' wait to read both these books - they sound fascinating! Thanks for sharing with us today, Saralyn!

Saralyn said...

Thanks, HiDee. And don't forget Naughty Nana for that little guy in your life! LOL

Kathleen Kaska said...

Glad to see Detective Parrott back on a case. I love the cover! Best of luck with another fabulous mystery!

Saralyn said...

Kathleen, your comments mean the world to me!

Daniella Bernett said...

This is sounds like another deliciously intriguing puzzle that will tease readers minds.

Saralyn said...

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Daniella. You're right that mysteries are all about the puzzle--intellectual and emotional--that readers engage in with the author. That's the heart of what we do as mystery writers, and why we do it.

Jim White said...

Hi Saralyn,

I haven't read your mystery yet, but I'm looking forward because I'm familiar with the Brandywine Valley. In the 70's I was a research librarian at the Eleutherian Mills Historical Library in Greenville. Such a beautiful place and my commute from Newark, DE included a covered bridge.

Best,

Jim
BOB author, 'Carp Cafe' coming up soon (I hope!)

Saralyn said...

Hi, Jim. Since you are familiar with Brandywine Valley, you'll love the scenes in and references to local establishments along the way. A few hints: Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, The Hunt magazine, and quite a few restaurants. Beautiful land and exquisite homes. I could talk about it all day!

Steven M. Moore said...

I'm one of those people who've been badgering Saralyn for a sequel to Murder in the One Percent. In the first book, she creates a classic and intriguing Christie-style mystery and puts it into a 21st century context--murder in the Brandywine Valley instead of Murder on the Orient Express. I've been waiting for the sequel.
I've also come to know Saralyn as a person and now count her as a friend. I wish her many more successes!
Way to go, Saralyn!
r/Steve

Zari Reede said...

I am so excited about the second book in the series. I can’t wait to read it! ~Minette Lauren

Saralyn said...

Thank you for your comments, Steve and Minette. Having the two of you along on this author journey makes it that much sweeter. Detective Parrott appreciates your loyalty, as well. He can't wait to show you more of what he can do.

authorlindathorne said...

That's exciting that you have your book cover and everything. 2020 is just around the bend. Congratulations!

Nancy A. Hughes said...

As the day ticks away, I hope I'm not to late to leave a comment. I loved Murder in the One Percent. In fact, I'm including it in my "must read" comments on the newsletter I'm sending on Saturday the 16th to announce the release of my latest mystery, The Innocent Hour. If the second book is anything like her award-winning first one, I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Paul Thaler said...

Just so nice to hear from Saralyn at the 'cafe' (also one of my favorite writers' hangouts). I can attest that Saralyn practices what she preaches, a real friend to the writers' community. Also no surprise that her books are embraced by her readers - I am just starting to join her avid fan club. Looking forward to more and more from her.
All best,
Paul

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Saralyn,

Congrats on completing the second book in the series. It sounds like a great read! Wishing you much success with the new mystery.

Ann Weisgarber said...

Murder in the One Percent is a page turner and rumor has it that A Palette for Love and Murder is just as gripping. I can't wait to read it! Saralyn, thank you for the kind nod my direction. You didn't need a mentor; you knew what to do.

Saralyn said...

Thank you, Linda, Nancy, Paul, and Jacqueline. I am honored by your comments and encouragement. And, Ann, words are insufficient...All of you are in my heart, and in Detective Parrott's heart, too.

Barbara Etlin said...

Great interview, Saralyn. I just received my copy of Murder in the One Percent today and look forward to reading it.