Tuesday, December 11, 2018 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Tuesday Special: Race for the Sun

Minette Lauren



by Minette Lauren

Soledad, an old soul, confronts the failures of her last life, having committed suicide when things became too difficult. As she moves forward into the soul-watcher’s phase of the afterworld, she picks from a list of struggling souls to guide and guard. Ally, a popular artist and her niece from her former life, is among Soledad’s choices. Trapped in a soul-watching state, Soledad follows Ally, throughout parts of her daily routine, trying to surmise her embodied ward’s purpose. Once she can master the meaning of Ally’s reality, Soledad hopes to be granted another life with her own soulmate. Journey with these very real characters to find what lessons are learned in the passing of time and the rewards their love brings. Race for the Sun is a lesson on life and loving for all.



Alley was starting to feel like she was on a reality television show with all the skeletons in her closet, falling at her feet…

Ally internally sighed with relief. Travis hadn’t seen the portrait yet, which meant he also hadn’t encountered Marcel. Now how would she distract him and get him out of there before Louis answered? It was too late. She saw people gathering at the outskirts of their small circle gawking at Travis’s likeness to the painting.
Marcel could be heard from a mile away as he spotted Ally. She cringed. Here goes nothing.
“Darling! You didn’t tell me David was coming! You little devil, trying to hoard them all for yourself.” He snapped his fingers in the air, appearing not to know which man to devour first. His eyes glinted playfully. “Call dibs quick, before I dib them both.”
Ally tried to ignore the rush of heat climbing from her shoulders to her cheeks. Both men looked confused and wary of Marcel’s proclamation.
“Marcel, this is Travis, and you remember Louis from the airport?” Ally tried to cover her discomfort by taking a long sip of her champagne.
“Travis, hmm, well I like David better. Mind if I call you David?” Marcel batted his eyes and linked arms with Travis playfully.
Ally almost sprayed her champagne onto the floor when she saw Travis’s blank look. She could tell he was uncomfortable but trying to be polite. He didn’t know the dynamics of the group at hand, and his eyes pleaded with Ally to save him. She let Marcel whisk him off to the room where David was displayed. If she was uncomfortable at his sudden appearance, then he could be uncomfortable with Marcel. She hated that the gig was up, and now Travis would know exactly how he had plagued her sleep.
Louis cleared his throat then let out a small laugh. “I fear your Travis is in for two surprises,” He tipped his glass toward the departing duo.
       Ally giggled a little too hysterically. Maybe she should cut herself off. Yes, it was definitely one too many, and it wasn’t the champagne she was referring to.
 
Release date: December 8, 2018 

Pre-order now at  Amazon

About Minette:  Inspired by the movie, Gone with the Wind, I picked up a pencil as soon as I was old enough to write. I composed a play in one act about the love of Seth and Beth. Not deterred by the play’s questionable success, I have been in love with writing ever since. Growing up in a small town outside of New Orleans, Louisiana has fueled a lot of my creative endeavors. I travel often and take advantage of anyplace with a view that inspires me  to write. I now resides in Texas, where I co-write with good friend Zoe Tasia under the pen name, Zari Reede. I love to write outdoors by my pool, with my five furry writing muses. Besides my menagerie of tail-wagging pooches, I also have a loving husband, three turtles, two Macaws, and a Quaker parrot to keep me company. Together, they make all of my dreams come true.

Amazon       Website        Twitter        Facebook

Instagram        Bookbub        Goodreads



 


31 comments:

HiDee said...

What a creative idea! I look forward to reading this. Thanks for joining us today, Minette!

Minette Lauren said...

Thank you for having me! It’s alwats a pleasure to be a guest. This book is dear to my heart. I lost a sister to Type 1 diabetes and miss her very much! I hope this love story will bring pleasure to readers and make them think about their lives and the time we have with the people we love .

GeoV said...

Hi there - this is what I might call an "unexpected" book. It has a great plot and a few interesting subplots; it has great and complex character development; it has funny moments; it has tear-jerking moments; it has romance ... it has just about everything you would expect in a very well-written book that is definitely a page-turner. But, what was the "unexpected" you may ask? It was the capability of the author to put forth and discuss some of those issue that remain mostly untouched in contemporary writing: afterlife and what it might be; angels or guardian angels; reincarnation and how it might manifest itself. And manage to do that in a way that still results in an entirely entertaining yet inspiring book. Great read

Steven M,. Moore said...

Having lost a few important people in my life, I think it's important to tackle these themes in a serious way. And they are profound enough that they can drive many serious as well as comical plots. They also illustrate that older authors might have a lot more life experiences to write about than younger ones. Not that young authors can't write interesting stories, but they need to have some life experiences before they take off from the storytelling launch pad.
r/Steve

Saralyn said...

Congratulations on this original and clever idea for a novel! I'm intrigued, and will start reading it today. I look forward to hearing great things from this dynamic author.

Zari Reede said...

Thank you, Saralyn. I really hope you enjoy the book. It's an honor to have another great author read my book.

Minette Lauren said...

Thank you for stopping by GeoV! I really enjoyed writing this book. The guardian angel theme is one of my favorites. I hope the reader walks away with a sense that there is more than one chance at life and love.
Minette

Minette Lauren said...

Thank you for your comment, Steven. You bring up a great point. I felt like I started late in life as a writer, but the truth is that I needed to live first. I wrote when I was younger, but I didn't have the discipline back then. I was having too much fun. Glad I did. It gives me a lot to write about now.

Miriam Green said...

An intriguing idea. I like the idea of having an invisible angel by my side.

Kathleen Kaska said...

I love the title Race for the Sun. It's difficult not to be in the afterlife and it's uplifting to image all the possibilities. I love the name Soledad!

Minette Lauren said...

Thank you, Miriam. Though spiritually challenged, Soledad is a great character with a big heart. I hope I have someone looking out for me too. Thanks for stopping by.

Minette Lauren said...

Thank you, Kathleen. I love the name Soledad as well. It comes from solitude and Soledad is a lady of solitude in this story, but the Sole/Sun was my play on the title. Names are important and play a large part on a person's personality. True of pets too! Hint, don't name your dog, Spike.

kaykay said...

Congrats for providing a subject that provokes readers to think alternatively and possibly find comfort to those who have experienced great loss. It offers some the hope of a second chance to correct things they wish had gone differently in a previous existence.

Zari Reede said...

Well said KayKay.That is my hope in this story and in life as well. I think about the positive and negative energy I put out in the world each day and hope to grow as a person with each day. I hope the reader gets the same feeling from reading the book. Best, Minette Lauren ( my log in on Blogger wants to show me as Zari Reede today, which is ok, since I write under that pen name too.)

Lica Maidana said...

Race for the Sun is a great book with a nice touch of life experiences. It is not heavy, but make us to think about our actions... I am still reading! Very good book for my vacation!

Zari Reede said...

I’m so happy you are enjoying the book. Thanks for commenting and joining us today. Minette Lauren

Yvonne Rediger said...

What an interesting premise, Minette. I have Race for the Sun added to my To Be Read stack.

Yvonne Rediger

Roman Empire Mystery Lover said...

Race for the Sun brings peace and comfort to not just those of us who have lost someone dear but to all of us as we contemplate our own mortality and as we reflect on the regrets we have. Sounds like a fitting book as we move toward a new year! June Trop

Zari Reede said...

Thank you Yvonne! I hope you will enjoy it! Minette Lauren

Zari Reede said...

Thank you, June. I’ve always contemplated the what happens after and what if... it actually grounds me to the present. Enjoy what we have today:)

Anonymous said...

A quote that came to my mind when I read this book is from the movie, Romancing the Stone, in response to the line, “Joanie, you are now a world-class hopeless romantic.” Joan’s response is, “No, hopeful. Hopeful romantic.” Race for the Sun is full of hope and laced with the many facets of love. I was lucky enough to read the ARC and strongly recommend this uplifting book.

Zari Reede said...

Thank you for your continued support. This book is very much about maintaining hope.

Howard Levine said...

Very creative idea. Presenting a fictional hereafter is a challenging undertaking, and one that should have an uplifting effect on readers.

Zari Reede said...

Ally and Soledad have their challenges in this book. It is a non-perfect romance for Ally and spiritual challenge for Soledad to help, reflecting a realistic view on life and love. Thank you for your comment and stopping by. Minette Lauren

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I enjoyed reading this innovative novel and will post a review. Wishing you much success!

Unknown said...

Intriguing, my weekend reading is set.

Zari Reede said...

Thank you, Jacqueline, for your continued support. Best wishes to you.

Zari Reede said...

Thank you for stopping by, Susan! I hope you enjoy the book.

Daniella Bernett said...

Minette,

Your book sounds intriguing.

Zari Reede said...

Thank you, Daniella! I love yours as well. Hoping to read it in the new year! It’s been a busy time and Sin of the Sister releases tomorrow! Yay! ~Minette Lauren

authorlindathorne said...

So nice to see a book come out with some different twists. This sounds great and, from what I see, you are doing a great job of promoting it. I see and hear about it a lot. Sometimes that makes all the difference.