Thursday, October 5, 2017 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Meet Tina Newcomb

The Write Way Café welcomes Tina Newcomb, who used a terrifying experience to fuel writing.

When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book? Was that first thought related to writing romance?
     I first started writing in the fourth grade. My teacher prompted and then rewarded us for trying. I took some college courses, but didn’t write again until I was in my late twenties. My first manuscript resides in a box in the closet.  No, my first thoughts weren’t related to romance. More to just telling a story.

What was your path to getting this book written and published? What type of research did you do?
     This story started out in Finding Eden, Book 1 of my Eden Falls Series. An editor suggested Carolyn’s story (A Taste of Eden, Book 3) become a book of its own. That was four years ago. I write sweet romance, which wasn’t selling very well at that time, so I decided to self-publish the whole series.
     Not being familiar with domestic abuse, I did quite a bit of research on the subject, mostly internet articles and statistics.

Where did the idea for your story come from?
     When I was in my early thirties, a man I worked with stalked me. I remembered the feeling of terror, of feeling trapped. The experience was far below what my heroine goes through, so I ramped up the feelings and emotions for her.

Why did you pick the setting you did?
     I get my inspiration from traveling with my husband. We took a trip through Washington a few years ago and the story was born. My setting comes before my characters.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
     I think of my characters are completely imaginary, but, just last night, my stepdaughter (reading Finding Eden) texted a passage with the comment, “This is you! I love reading about you in your books!”
     The characters in this story are completely imaginary—except for Carolyn’s blush. If I could change that about me I would. I hate to blush.

Did you face any blocks while writing the book, and if so, how did you handle them? If not, what's your secret?

     Luckily, I haven’t suffered from writer’s block. Yet. If I get stumped on a character or a conflict, I step away, work on something else for a day or two, read a book, look for inspiration outside my writing space, talk to my husband. Watching television can even spark inspiration.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing the book and after?
     I can’t think of any surprises I’ve encountered.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about being a chef and about abusive spouses?
     The biggest thing I’ve learned is that I can write a book/books if I put my mind to it. I’m editing Book 5 in the series. I’m a huge fan of NaNoWriMo. I’ve participated two years and finished two books. I’ve also learned to (sorta) navigate the self-publishing world. I didn’t do a lot of research on being a chef, since I don’t dwell on that subject much, but I learned more than I wanted to know about domestic abuse, what keeps people in the situation, and how frustrating it is for police officers.

Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you.
     I have an office I rarely use. Since I write on a laptop, my writing space can be anywhere, but I prefer the bed. I’m not one to write in my pajamas. I might not do my hair and makeup, but I do get dressed. My biggest interruption is a retired husband who doesn’t think he’s an interruption.

What are some of your favorite books and why?
     Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock, The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, The Perfect Son by Barbara Claypool White, and Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky are four of my favorites. I love to laugh so I read Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Kristan Higgins. They both put their characters in the most unique situations. I wish I could write funny.
     I also love to read anything by Karen White, Barbara O’Neal, and Sarah Addison Allen. LaVyrle Spencer inspired me to become a writer.

What are you working on now?
     I’m editing Touches of Eden (Book 5 in the Eden Falls Series). I’m aiming for a January release.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre?  Which one and why?
     I’m working on a Women’s Fiction novel that I hope to publish traditionally. I love to read Women’s Fiction, but I’m not sure I can write it yet.  We’ll see…

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?
     Country singing superstar!

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble?
     Conflict. I don’t like it in life, so I have a hard time coming up with believable conflict.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine?
     Heroine - Sugar Beth Carey from Susan Elizabeth Phillips Ain’t She Sweet.
     Hero – Beam Garrett from my own Beyond Eden.


An Eden Falls NovelWelcome to Eden Falls, Washington, where smiles are frequent and a helping hand is always near.

     Best-selling author Colton McCreed flies into remote but charming Eden Falls for the summer to study small town life for his next horrific murder mystery. As his research pulls him into the community, his life becomes entwined with Mayor Alex Blackwood and her exuberant son. Colton’s bitter past left him believing he’s immune to love, but he soon finds himself drawn to Alex and her happy-go-lucky kid. 
     Alex Blackwood is not only the mayor of Eden Falls, she’s a business owner, the mother of six-year-old Charlie, and a widow. While love for her son fills her soul, the crushing reality of the death of her husband, who was killed while serving his country, is always near. As she struggles to find balance between her busy life and the challenge of raising a young son on her own, dating someone who’s leaving at the end of summer runs dead last on her to-do list.
     Charlie’s impromptu invitations to dinner throw Colton and Alex into a world of discovery, shattering her image of Mr. Right and his belief forever happiness is out of reach.
     Colton must move past his fear of attachment or risk losing his opportunity at love.

eBooks:  Kindle      iBook     Nook      Kobo


Paperback:  Amazon


About Tina:  I was born and raised in Utah on the foothills of the spectacular Wasatch Front, where life as a kid was magical. Summers were spent hiking or swimming in the neighborhood pool, winters were for sledding down mountain hills.
     I acquired my love of reading from my parents. My mother was a librarian and stacks of books were always close at hand. I wrote my first (more than three page) story in fourth grade. Tobie, my heroine, bravely solved The Mystery Behind the Iron Door. I took writing classes in college and stories began to develop.
     I write happily-ever-after stories about real people going through the trials and tribulations of life. 
     I love my job, from blank page to the “ah-ha!” moments when a story comes together. 
     I live in Northern Colorado with my husband five of our eight children, and one of three grandchildren.

Facebook      Twitter      Pinterest      Goodreads




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your series sounds amazing! Thank you for being on our blog!

Avery Cove said...

I loved reading more about you and how your stories have been conceived. You are a great writer! Look forward to reading the whole series. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for having me here, Lynn. And thanks for visiting Avery. Coming up with the stories is just one of the fun parts of writing.

HiDee said...

Tina, Eden Falls sounds like a great place to visit! Thank you for being with us!