Thursday, May 4, 2017 | By: The Write Way Cafe

An Interview with Beth Caudill

The Write Way Café welcomes Beth Caudill with her Enchanted by Destiny, Paranormals of Arilase series. She shares how she finds fantasy in reality.

When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book? Was that first thought related to writing romance?

     After my second child was born and I knew I was going to be a stay-at-home-mom for several more years.  I’ve always had stories in my head but I never considered writing them down until I’d been going stir-crazy at home.
     My first thought was writing science fiction but I didn’t have the brain cycles to deal with the research. (Anyone with kids will tell you that the mind becomes Swiss cheese.) I love the idea of space exploration but dragons and magic kept popping into my head.  Fantasy romance became my focus after that.

What was your path to getting this book written and published? What type of research did you do?
     I had some initial ideas for the story, but it wasn’t right. I put it aside to write the first story in my fantasy with romantic elements series.  Once I came back to it and decided to change the setting to Arilase the story progressed much faster.
     Because it is a novella, I’m self-publishing the whole series.
     I did some minor research into treehouses, gemstones and private lake settings. The majority of my research centered on creating spells for my heroine to use. I’m not very good with rhyming and wanted some ideas on how to get what I wanted out of the spell and still have it sound like a spell. The reference source I used was Deborah Blake’s Everyday Witch A to Z Spellbook.

Where did the idea for your story come from?
     It is hard for me to define inspiration for Enchanted by Destiny because I started and stopped the story a few times. However, I was influenced a bit by the release of the live-action version of Maleficent.  Sleeping Beauty has always been a favorite fairy tale of mine.  The Dark Elf’s curse and my Hero falling into a coma was influenced by this.
     Also the evil mastermind at the end of the story was influenced by the Cheshire Cat from Disney’s animated movie.  The image of the smiling cat disappearing has stuck with me.

Why did you pick the setting you did?
     I’m not sure where I developed the idea, but for me, elves belong in a forest.  Archery, grace, stealth and a bit of magic all fit.  They can exist in a small town if they have too, but not a big city.  Most of all, I wanted to create a small village of treehouses.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
     The characters in Enchanted by Destiny are imaginary.  I found a few pictures on shutterstock that matched the image in my head and off I wrote.  Caitlyn from Assassin’s Soul and especially Evelyn in Tethered possess the most qualities that I identify with.
     Clairessa - https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/beautiful-sensuality-teen-girl-long-straight-69791017
     Rowe - https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/portrait-young-handsome-guy-on-beach-113805649

Did you face any blocks while writing the book, and if so, how did you handle them? If not, what's your secret?
     My initial idea for this story involved werelions and city streets.  Yet I couldn’t really come up with a plot that worked.  When I decided to ditch the lions and place the story on Arilase (my fantasy supernatural world), everything came together.
     Time seems to be the best thing for me and solving the issues I come up against while writing.

What have been surprises you've encountered while writing the book and after?
     The biggest surprise was discovering that the spell book company Claire worked for existed within a living tree. The computers connected to the tree and could reach a collective knowledgebase.
     It’s a minor detail in one of the chapters but it was my biggest surprise while I was writing.

What did you learn? For instance, what did you learn about yourself, your process, the writing world; about elves and spell books?
     From this book, I know I can complete a story and publish it.  Lately, I’ve been having problems completing stories.  Because I worked through the plot issues in Enchanted by Destiny, even if I need to change something…I will eventually be able to write The End.
     While my elves may be a bit secretive, they are very traditional and protective. There are some basic spells that everyone learns but the more proficient enchanters will create their own spells.   Creating spells should be undertaken with reverence for the Goddess and beneficial intent.


Tell us about your writing space and how or why it works for you.
     My main writing space is a desk upstairs in my bonus room. I like being able to close the door and lock out most of the noise from my boys.  When I sent my oldest to a private school last year, I coopted his desk in my downstairs dining room. A lot of natural light comes in through the front windows.

What are some of your favorite books and why?

     The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop. I love the characters and magic.
     Wars of Light and Shadows series by Janny Wurts. Long epic fantasy series. I love the politics, magic and worldbuilding.
     Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.  I love the characters.
     Psy/Changling series by Nalini Singh.  I love her worldbuilding and politics

What are you working on now?

     I’ve completed the first draft of the third book in my Paranormal or Arilase series. I need to complete a few rounds of edits before I can release it.
     I’m behind on my deadline for the second in my contribution to the Zodiac Shifters books.  This one is supposed to be a Gemini character.  We’ll see how it goes.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre?  Which one and why?
     I’ve considered stories in science fiction or gothic romance.  I’m apprehensive about the Gothic story because I’m not sure I can write it dark enough.

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?

     My dream job would be to have someone pay me to research stuff.  I love learning new things—as evidenced by my own library. I use any excuse to buy some cool book. Shhh. Don’t tell me husband.

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble?
     Knowing my characters. It’s always a journey for me to learn about them as I write.  Then I have to go back and make sure I fix the beginning because usually something was left out or I disclosed it the wrong way.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine?

     My favorite hero is Liam from Healer’s Fate.  I have a soft spot for Alpha werewolves. He can be strong and protective but still empower Corliss to act for herself.
     Evelyn from Tethered is my favorite heroine. I’ve always wanted to fly and it’s her favorite activity. Plus, she has traveled the world which my introverted heart envies.



     In a land ruled by magic, can two elves break a dark curse and forge a new destiny together?
     Clairessa Bellehaven may be a princess, but she’s also the loneliest elf in Wildeloch. She spends her days analyzing spell books, and her nights dreaming of someone to share her life. This seems unlikely, after her betrothed, Prince Rowe deserted her and her latest beau betrayed her trust. Surely just one night of passion with a handsome elf will do no harm … that is, unless the Goddess finds out.
     Rowe Calder, elf clan prince, can no longer delay returning home if he is to save his family’s livelihood. But once there, he finds himself under the spell of his lovely bondmate, Princess Clairessa—the woman destined to cause his death. He’s a powerful elvish prince, surely he dares risk one tryst with her.
But there is no hiding from the vindictive curse cast long ago. Rowe will have to fight for the safety of everyone he loves, including Clairessa. And Clairessa must use the most powerful spell of all to save her prince—love. Will it be enough when the dark elf comes to claim a soul?

Excerpt

     Claire watched him walk to the bar. The view of his back, particularly his ass, was almost as enticing to stare at as the front. His long amber honey hair swished behind him and his scent, the tangy zip of orange, hung in the air like the fragrance from her orange-scented geranium. On his way back, blue, green and gold colored eyes held her gaze, and her insides quivered with nervous energy. He was a delicious sweet, mixed with the allure of a hunter's confidence, like the tree lynx in search of prey.
     A moment of indecision gripped her. Dating an elf would be problematic with the betrothal contract hanging over her head. But he tempted every part of her and their liaison would be fleeting. For one night, she could revel in the touch of another elf and embrace the wildness he called within her.
     He returned with a cone-shaped glass, filled with a white liquor colored with the faintest tinge of blush and placed it in front of her. She twirled the toothpick with a winterberry on the end and raised an eyebrow at him.
     "I didn't order this."
     "It's a club special." His eyes and smile dared her to turn him down. "I hear they're very popular with the female guests. Surely tonight is a time for experimentation?"
     Accepting his lure, she drained half the concoction. Tartness exploded on her tongue and burned her throat, but she was never one to back away. Staring into his eyes, she licked her lips. "Delicious."
     His quiet moan sent a distinctly feminine thrill through her. Knowing a man appreciated her attributes brightened her mood.
     Group laughter and the stamp of many feet heralded the arrival of at least ten people. Quickly, the remaining tables filled and they could hardly hear each other above the din. Her spirits took a downturn with the numerous arrivals. She'd enjoyed the quiet privacy.
     A loud clatter disrupted every conversation as a lion shifter shoved a satyr into a table and it splintered under his weight. The goat-man rose, stomped his hooves and laughed, oblivious to the unhappy stares directed his way.
     "Perhaps you'd like to take this elsewhere?" Rowe whispered in her ear.

eBook available at   Amazon     Barnes and Noble      iBooks      Kobo       Google

Print edition available at   Amazon      Barnes and Noble        Books-a-Million


Find Beth here:

Website       Newsletter       Email: beth@bethcaudill.net        Twitter        
Facebook         Pinterest        Goodreads       Amazon Author Page     
Bookbub Author Page


Although Beth grew up in West Virginia, she currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, two sons and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who makes an excellent lap warmer. Blending the analytical and creative sides of her brain, she delights in creating fantasy worlds for others. Catch her online most days except when NCIS and Once Upon a Time air.

3 comments:

Beth Caudill said...

Thank you for having me here.

HiDee said...

Beautiful cover and interesting interview. Thank you for being with us today!

Lewis Clark said...

The Interview with Beth Caudill is must watch and read also. She did tell many things about her, which she haven't shared somewhere else. Thank you for posting this interview.