Thursday, March 10, 2016 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Caroline Clemmons Releases Kindle World Novel

The Write Way Café welcomes author Caroline Clemmons. She shares her experience stretching her skills in writing a Kindle World novel.
Caroline Clemmons


MY NEW RELEASE, AMANDA’S RANCHER, A KINDLE WORLD NOVEL

This is my first experience with writing for a Kindle World. The one I’m part of is Debra Holland’s Montana Sky Series. I am a fan of Debra’s books and am thrilled to have been included in her Montana Sky Series.

Another first for me is writing a book set in Montana. Most of my books are set in Texas except for one novella in Georgia, Long Way Home, and a novel in Colorado, The Surprise Brides: Jamie.

Writers have to keep stretching and engaging in new forms of their craft so they don’t go stale.  I’m freely admitting that this book about ate my lunch. While I had read Debra Holland’s books, I had to reread her Mail-Order Brides of the West to jot down all the names and descriptions. I believe I have portrayed them true to her books.

When the world is one I’ve created, I have the setting and characters firmly in my mind. While I remembered the characters from Debra’s books, that didn’t mean I could describe them. I also had to visualize the setting she’d laid out. Fortunately, one of the other authors in the world, Lou Nelson, worked with Debra and created a map. What a help!

Believe me, I did stretch myself with Amanda's Rancher! I worried so much writing this book that I about made myself sick. However, my beta readers told me it’s a great book. Readers have received it well and my Amazon rating is great so far. You can imagine my relief! I always want my books to be great reads, but I never know how they will affect other readers.

My story in this world is Amanda's Rancher. Here’s the blurb:

Amanda's RancherOne desperate young woman.
A chance meeting.
A life-changing outcome.

Growing up in a brothel, Mara O'Sullivan battled public disdain and contempt, but always remained kind-hearted and gracious. After testifying against vicious bank robbers, her life is threatened and Mara must find sanctuary far from everything she knows.

One train ride changes her life as she fatefully meets a half-sister and a niece she never knew existed. But when circumstances end her sister's life, Mara makes a promise that she'll raise her niece as her own and take her sister's place as Preston Kincaid's mail-order-bride. As Mara and Preston grow closer, their marriage no longer seems like a ruse, but a relationship of love, passion, and desire.

Mara's past comes back to haunt her and she finds herself in danger—will her new husband forgive Mara's deceit and protect her as his own?

Here’s an excerpt of Amanda's Rancher:

They reached the church and Preston jumped down from the wagon and came around to help her alight. With a smile, he lifted Iris high over his head before he set her on the ground. Her giggle brought tears to Amanda’s eyes.

That was the first time she’d ever heard her daughter make the girlish sound. Iris had smiled, spoken, but never laughed until she met Preston Kincaid. For that alone, Amanda would be the best wife she knew how to be.

Inside the church, Mrs. Norton handed Amanda a bouquet of daisies secured with a white ribbon. The interior was plain with wooden benches and an altar raised one step above the rest of the floor. Although there were several windows, none had stained-glass as did the churches she’d seen in Georgia.

The minister was waiting at the front of the church and wore a black frock coat and matching string tie. His brown hair and beard were thickly streaked with gray. He stood at a simple lectern with what looked like a Bible in one hand while he conversed with another man.

Amanda was surprised only one other person besides Reverend and Mrs. Norton were in the sanctuary. She’d supposed Preston had many friends in the area and thought at least his ranch hands would attend. The second man turned and proved to be an older version of her groom who came forward to greet her.

Preston cupped her elbow. “Amanda and Iris, this is my father. Most folks call him Tom, but I call him Papa.”

Amanda smiled at the handsome man who must be around fifty. He was tall, but maybe an inch shorter than his son. Silver sprinkled the same dark hair. “May I call you Papa, too?”

He beamed his pleasure and his blue eyes crinkled at the corners. “I’d be honored. And in the absence of your father, may I walk you down the aisle?”

“Would you? I’d be ever so grateful.” She laid her hand on his arm. Nerves had set in and she needed his support or her knees might give way.

Preston said, “Iris, why don’t you stand with me while my papa walks Mama to meet us?”

Iris shook her head. “Mommy, not my old mama?”

Preston frowned. “Old mama?”

Panic sent bile into her throat that threatened to choke her. Don’t throw up on your wedding dress. “Perhaps you remember my mother recently died.”

Sympathy shone from his blue eyes. “Of course.” He took Iris’ hand in his and strode to the front.
Mrs. Norton began playing the piano. She nodded toward Amanda. Papa Kincaid gently led her up the aisle.

Walking toward her husband, Amanda was conscious of Preston’s stare, as if he could see into her mind and knew her for an impostor. Although he held Iris’ hand, the intensity of his blue gaze unnerved her. She wondered if he was disappointed or if he were as numb as she.

Thankful for the presence of her future father-in-law beside her, she tightened her hold on Mr. Kincaid’s arm.

In response, he patted her hand her where it laid on his sleeve. Without looking at her, he whispered. “Steady as you go. We’re almost there.”

Iris gave a tiny wave and Amanda couldn’t resist smiling at the child. The little girl truly was a blessing. Focusing on Iris gave Amanda a target she could face.

When they reached the front, Mrs. Norton ceased playing. Preston took the bouquet from Amanda’s hands. “Iris, would you hold this for Mommy so she and I can be married?”

Iris looked at him adoringly and reached to receive the flowers. Reverend Norton opened his Bible and began the ceremony. Preston took Amanda’s hands in his. She was conscious of his calluses, but also of the size and strength of his palms dwarfing hers.

When the minister indicated, Preston slipped a ring onto her finger. This new one belongs to me, even if my groom doesn’t know my true name.

After the ceremony, Preston brushed his lips gently against hers.

Iris clapped a hand across her mouth in surprise then said, “Mommy? That man kissed you.”

Preston knelt eye-to-eye with her. “I’m your new Daddy, remember? Mommy and I were just married and now I can kiss her whenever she says it’s okay. Do you think you can call me Daddy?”

Iris nodded. “Are you gonna kiss me too?”

He smiled broadly. “I certainly am.” He leaned forward and gave her a loud smack on the cheek.

The child giggled. Twice in one day this kind man had made Iris happy. Amanda owed Preston all her wifely devotion.

Amazon

I hope you’ll give Amanda's Rancher a try and let me know how you like it. If you like it, please leave a review on Amazon! Positive reviews are so helpful to authors. Many venues won’t let us promote unless we have a certain number of 4 and 5 star reviews.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About Caroline:

Caroline Clemmons is an Amazon bestselling and award winning author of historical and contemporary western romances. A frequent speaker at conferences and seminars, she has taught workshops on characterization, point of view, and layering a novel.

Caroline and her husband live in the heart of Texas cowboy country with their menagerie of rescued pets. When she’s not indulging her passion for writing, Caroline enjoys family, reading, travel, antiquing, genealogy, and getting together with friends. Find her on her blog, website, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Google+, WattPad, Shelfari, and Pinterest. Subscribe to her newsletter here to receive a FREE copy of the novella Happy Is The Bride.

12 comments:

HiDee said...

What a fun opportunity for you, Caroline! Thank you for being with us today and sharing your experience and a bit about your book!

Unknown said...

Caroline, I've wondered how this Kindle World thing was working for those of y'all in the vanguard of Debra Holland's. Thanks for giving us a peek at your experience. :-)

As for Amanda's Rancher... You already know I'm a forever fan. I know this new book will be as delightful a read as all those that flowed from your pen previously. Continued success to you, my friend! :-)

Caroline Clemmons said...

Thank you, Kathleen. I guess that means we have a mutual appreciation going. I love your writing and look forward to your next release.

Cai said...

Congratulations on the new release - sounds like you overcame all challenges tossed in your path (I expected no less). :) Looking forward to reading it.

Carra Copelin said...

Caroline, I'm so excited for you and your new release. I'm looking forward to reading Amanda's Rancher. I know I will love it as I enjoy all your stories! Carra

RT Wolfe said...

Great post! Here's wishing you many sales. :)
-R.T. Wolfe

Unknown said...

This sounds like a wonderful story--a true CC novel. But Kindle Wordl? I have not heard of this...maybe I should "get out more."

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I'm hooked, Caroline. Now all I have to do is fine time. You know how that goes when you have a deadline coming. Best of luck with your sales. This is an excellent sounding novel.

Kirsten Lynn said...

Caroline, I love the snippet. You hooked me. Congratulations on being involved in the Kindle World.

--Kirsten

Beth Trissel said...

How wonderful Caroline, and what an amazing experience for you as an author. It sound superb. A big congrats to you.

Jacquie Rogers said...

Caroline, you're absolutely amazing. This is a fabulous book! I bet your grocery list is even fun to read.

Linda Hubalek said...

Thanks for sharing about your new book in the Kindle World. Sounds like a winner!