Thursday, January 15, 2015 | By: The Write Way Cafe

An Interview with Jennifer DeCuir

The Write Way Café welcomes author Jennifer DeCuir, who believes home is where the heart is but loves to visit her small hometown through writing her books that feature small-town living.

When did you first have the thought you'd like to write a book? Was that first thought related to writing romance?
I wrote a really dark short story when I was in eighth grade. A friend insisted it was so good I needed to read it in front of the class. I either blew them away or freaked them the heck out, because everyone was staring with their mouths open. No one said a word. So I originally thought I’d write Stephen King type books. But by the time I was in high school, I was hopelessly addicted to Harlequins. And I was one of those critical “I could do that so much better” readers. I’ve been writing romance ever since.

What was your path to getting this book written and published? What type of research did you do?
This is my 4th book with Crimson Romance, but the first that I sold based solely on proposal (submitting a manuscript with just the synopsis and the first three chapters). And yet I still didn’t feel comfortable submitting the proposal until I was in the editing phase, having just finished the rough draft. I didn’t really do much in the way of research, as most of it is based on my hometown. A little Pinterest trolling for just the right inspirational pictures.

Where did the idea for your story come from?
I grew up in a small town and couldn’t wait to leave. The opportunities, the excitement and adventure – it was all somewhere else. Anywhere else. Though the coffee shop idea is strictly because I am hopelessly addicted to coffee!!!

Why did you pick the setting you did?
As a young woman, I may have been thrilled at the opportunity to leave my hometown, but not a day goes by that I don’t miss it now. My fictitious town of Scallop Shores is based on my old hometown and every time I sit down to write a scene where I can describe even a tiny bit of the town, it’s a chance to “visit” with my hometown memories. The next best thing to being there.

Are your main characters completely imaginary or do they have some basis in real people? Do they reflect aspects of yourself?
Cady’s need to leave town was the same as mine. But her personality couldn’t be any more different. Her family is quirky and loving and probably a bit stifling, something I always wanted. So I am living vicariously through her. I’d guess 99% of what I write comes out of my imagination.

What are some of your favorite books and why?
I love the Malory family books by Johanna Lindsay. And just about any family trilogy by Nora Roberts (bonus points if they’re set in Ireland). I have always enjoyed getting to know an entire family through a series, and revisiting them through the next books and so on.  At the moment I am reading and re-reading The Hobbit. Someday I swear I am going to give Thorin, Fili and Kili happy endings.

What are you working on now?
I’m currently working on Book 5 in my Scallop Shores series. This is Bree’s (the children’s librarian and everyone’s favorite ‘go to’ person) story, and probably the last in the series, though I have left it quite open-ended…just in case.

Would you like to try your hand at writing a different genre?  Which one and why?
Funny you should ask, because the series I am plotting out right now is fantasy. Such a huge departure from what I have published so far. I’m equal parts terrified and excited to see if I can pull this off. But part of me realizes that from the moment I entered J.R.R. Tolkien’s world of Middle Earth, I was meant to try my hand at something similar. I tell my kids I was a hobbit in a past life. 

If you were not a writer, what would your dream job be?
I love to crochet and tried, at one point, to build a business around it. I did a few craft fairs, and had a booth in a crafters’ co-op. Now that Etsy is around, I think it’d be fun to see if I could actually turn a profit crocheting baby shower gifts, scarves, slippers, etc. 

What aspect of writing gives you the most trouble?
Would you believe the love scenes? I have no problem reading them, but writing them? Honestly, you should see me blush. It’s so ridiculous. I’m on my fifth book so far and I still blush.

About Jennifer:  Jennifer is a busy writer mom, juggling play dates, sports schedules and book deadlines. She lives on coffee and chocolate and keeps the local pizza delivery service in business.

Keep in touch with Jennifer at:

Website: www.jenniferdecuir.com
Blog: blog.jenniferdecuir.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferDeCuirauthor
Twitter: @jenniferdecuir
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/mzdecuir/

Buy links for Trapped in Tourist Town:
Amazon     Barnes & Noble      Crimson Romance      Kobo



7 comments:

Jennifer DeCuir said...

Popping in to say hi and thank you to Lynn and Hi Dee for hosting me today! :) I'm open to any questions your readers have that may not have been answered in this post. Well, unless it's math-related. My ten year old is better at math than I am. ;)

HiDee said...

I was also raised in a small town so I'm looking forward to checking our your book. Thanks for being with us today!

Charmaine Gordon said...

Delightful interview and my best to you, Jennifer. You're well on your ambitious way to the top. You don't need a guy with abs and heat on the cover to sell your stories. There's an audience for your books and mine that appeal to a more sensitive and fun loving reader.

Jennifer DeCuir said...

Well said, Charmaine. Who says a beautiful lighthouse can't be one reader's form of 'eye candy'? :)
And thank you, HiDee. Small towns rock!

Laurie Evans said...

Great interview! It was fun to read about you.

Angela Adams said...

Enjoyed the interview. I love reading small town romances...maybe because I live in the big city (smile!)

Jennifer DeCuir said...

Thanks, Laurie! :)
Angela, what's a book but a little "mini vacation", right? And you don't even have to buy a plane ticket. lol