Tuesday, November 11, 2014 | By: HiDee

Finding My Corner of the Sky

Years ago, a traveling musician performed at our high school.  I’ve long forgotten his name, but some of the lyrics from his song “CORNER OF THE SKY” often surface from my memories.

Everything has its season, everything has its time... 

Priorities change throughout the seasons of our lives.  Our wants and needs as children were very different than they are as adults, and they change yet again depending on our stages of adulthood.  Priorities are also different for each of us.

My family and my job have been priorities for me for years.  Sprinkled in among them were my wants and needs to be creative – also a priority but one often masked by familial responsibilities.  I could have chosen differently, but that’s not who I am.

Now, as a mature adult, I hope I have learned how to better balance my life.  My family and my work are still priorities in my life, but I’ve learned that my creative wants and needs are also important to my health and well-being.  The key is finding and keeping a balance between them.

During a recent conversation with my 22-year-old daughter, I was complaining that there aren’t enough hours in the day.  Everyone has the same 24 hours, Mom, she told me.  How I wish I could have recorded those slightly patronizing words to play back to her some day!

Around the same time, I read several posts about authors who have faced overwhelming difficulties and yet they still found time to write.  They still found time to pursue their dreams and obtain success.

Their stories have been quietly churning in the back of my mind, reminding me that I have no excuse for not writing.  I have the same 24 hours they have.  Now, it’s my season, it’s my time to pursue my dreams.

And the song continues in my mind:
... RIVERS BELONG WHERE THEY CAN RAMBLE
EAGLES BELONG WHERE THEY CAN FLY
I'VE GOT TO BE WHERE MY SPIRITS CAN RUN FREE
GOT TO FIND MY CORNER OF THE SKY...
– CORNER OF THE SKY, written by Stephen Schwartz
http://www.musicalschwartz.com/pippin-corner-of-the-sky.htm#corneroftheskylyrics

How did you find your season, your time to write?  Please share!

2 comments:

RT Wolfe said...

It's all about making the time, not finding the time. You rock, HiDee!
-R.T. Wolfe

HiDee said...

I'm learning, R.T.! Thanks for stopping by today. :)