Tuesday, November 26, 2013 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Happy Thanksgiving!

As Thanksgiving approaches, the many things I have to be thankful for have been on my mind.

I am thankful for my family and close friends, for traditions we share.  I am thankful for my home, for food and shelter, and I pray for our local families whose homes and lives have been devastated by the tornadoes that cut through Central Illinois on November 17th.  I am thankful for good health, and for employment when so many others are without.  I am thankful for the ability to use words to touch people's lives.

I am thankful for things too numerous to name, but those are a few of the important things.

Here are The Write Way Café, we are preparing for family get-together's this week, and wanted to share some of our traditions with you.  We invite you to share your family traditions with us, as well!

My family tradition is simply to gather with family for a mid-day meal. After our bellies are stuffed (and they will be!), if the weather is decent, many of us will venture outside and take a walk through the woods that surround my mother-in-law's house. We'll enjoy visiting with family members because as our kids grow up, it's harder and harder to get everyone together. We'll draw names for our Christmas gift exchange. But by far, the most popular tradition is guessing how many pieces of candy are in the three jars my brother-in-law always brings with him. Whoever is closest wins the jar. Let's just say, competition is fierce for those jars!

This Thanksgiving celebrate your family traditions but think about making an alternative to the green bean casserole found on many tables this time of year. Lynn's family enjoys this version of green beans.

Green Beans with Herb Dressing

6 green onions, chopped (I don't use these, but make this recipe your own)
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
Adjust measurements to suit your  "crowd."

Place green beans in a steaming basket and steam over boiling water for 5 minutes, or to desired tenderness.

Meanwhile, mix together in a bowl, the ingredients to the herb dressing (everything but the beans).

Place steamed green beans in a serving dish and pour dressing mixture over, toss. Serve.

We are thankful for your support of The Write Way Café, and we wish you and yours a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

0 comments: