Thursday, February 22, 2018 | By: The Write Way Cafe

Murder in the One Percent with Saralyn Richard

The Write Way Café welcomes Saralyn Richard, an author who has power in her passion!

Tell us a little about Murder in the One Percent.
     Murder in the One Percent is no ordinary mystery novel, mainly because the characters are not ordinary. The guests who gather at the Campbells’ country mansion are among the country’s wealthiest elite. One is a friend to Presidents, the former Secretary of the Treasury. Another is the CEO of a large investment banking house. Some inherited their wealth, others earned it, and others married into it. An outsider might think the party-goers haven’t a trouble in the world, but the reader soon finds out differently. The elaborate menu, gorgeous decorations, and plush accommodations can’t mask the fact that there is something sinister in the air.

What or who has been instrumental in or to your writing journey?
     I began writing for an audience when I was very young. I remember earning a Girl Scout “scribe” badge, enjoying all the tasks required. All of my teachers encouraged me, but two stand out:  Mari Allmond and Mary Pennington. Both nurtured my talent and pushed me to do more and more.
     Over the years I’ve taught creative writing and journalism, and I’ve had amazing students who inspire me as much as I inspire them. Then there is my writers’ critique group—wonderful people to share the ups and downs of the writing journey with. My other writer friends, including other Black Opal authors, have provided much-needed encouragement and trouble-shooting info along the way.
     I’m grateful to the wonderful, hard-working staff of Black Opal Books for seeing the value in Murder in the One Percent and for working with me to perfect the final product. My publicists at Caitlin Hamilton Marketing have done an outstanding job of representing the book and the author. Their suggestions have been invaluable. Libby Jordan, social media expert par excellence, has weighed in on PR matters, as well.
     My friends and family members who are supporting me with launch parties and other activities to promote the book are a significant part of the journey. The members of the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute classes I teach have shown enthusiasm and support throughout the process. And of course, I am thankful for every one of my readers. Without them, there would be no Murder in the One Percent.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve been given?  What’s your best writing advice for others?
     I teach writing, so I’m constantly giving writing advice to others. I have important quotes written on colorful strips and posted around my classroom:  Hemingway’s iceberg, using all five senses, clarity, specific word choices, connotative language, and more. When we were doing a nonfiction unit, I asked Erik Larson what advice he had for the class, and he said, “Stop in the middle.” What he meant was stopping a writing session in the middle of a sentence, paragraph, or chapter, makes it easy to pick up the writing on the next day. It is wonderful advice that speaks to momentum—an important issue for any writer.

If you could be a character in any book you’ve read (or written), which character would you be and why?
     What a thought-provoking question! I’ve been reviewing many of my favorite books, favorite characters, but most of them have so many problems to overcome—I wouldn’t wish to be in their shoes, even in my imagination. There are hundreds of characters I’ve loved and admired, so picking one to assume the role of is really difficult. At the risk of raising the eyebrows of my feminist friends, I will choose Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus is a thoughtful, educated attorney who practices in Maycomb, Alabama during the race-torn 60s. Many of the people he represents pay him in goods, because that’s all they have. He is so highly respected by the black community that they welcome him in their church and stand when he enters the courtroom. Atticus is both father and mother to his two children, and his loving care for them includes the imparting of deeply philosophical and thoroughly practical wisdom. Throughout the book, we see Atticus facing a variety of challenges, but he meets them all with remarkable kindness, humility, and humanity.

Characters often find themselves in situations they aren't sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do?
     Once I was on safari in South Africa in Krueger National Park. There were five people in the all-terrain vehicle, including the knowledgeable and friendly guide, Brandon. Before going out into the park, Brandon gave us a lecture about staying in the vehicle and making sure all arms and legs remained inside, as well. The animals, he told us, view the vehicle as one giant animal, and they won’t attack, as long as they don’t realize there are small two-legged animals inside.
     We went on several safaris with Brandon, both during the day and in the evening, but one morning, we were driving through the brush, and our vehicle hit a chasm that was covered by brush, and it stalled out. We were tilted sideways at a 45-degree angle, and we couldn’t move forward or backward. We knew we couldn’t get out of the vehicle without becoming bait for lions or leopards, and Brandon’s calls for help weren’t producing results. In fact, another vehicle driving by refused to help, frightened that they would become stuck, as well.
     What I did was show everyone how to keep the vehicle from toppling over by concentrating all of our weight in the opposite direction. That kept our bodies and minds occupied and calm enough, so that we didn’t panic or attract unwanted attention from wild animals. Eventually we were rescued by a larger vehicle. Whew! That was tense!

What book do you wish you could have written?
     I’m not the envious type. Happy to have written books of my own, I don’t wish to steal the thunder of the accomplishments of other authors. That said, I do admire the impact that J.K. Rowling has had on readers of all ages and in countries all over the world. The Harry Potter series has literally changed the literary world, not only by its commercial success, but by its empowering anti-bullying themes. The characters, settings, even vocabulary words from the books have become iconic and memorable details in our culture. It’s hard to realize that an entire fantastical world has emanated from the creative imagination of just one author, and it’s hard not to be awestruck.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment? 
     As a teacher of writing, I believe in the value of constructive criticism. No one’s writing is perfect every time, and if we don’t embrace comments from readers, we won’t learn and grow. When I was writing Murder in the One Percent, my writers’ critique group was diligent in pointing out places where I had point of view switches. I know all about the importance of establishing and maintaining a consistent point of view within each chapter section, but writing scenes with multiple characters talking and thinking, I found myself slipping in occasional shifting points of view. Once they were pointed out to me, I rushed to fix them, before, like weeds, they would take over with minds of their own.
     As for the best compliment, it has to be when a beta reader told me he hated for the book to end, because he wanted more, much more of Detective Parrott. To me it is a hallmark of an outstanding book when the characters live on in the minds of the readers beyond the reading of the book. Of course, there is no compliment greater than having someone read, understand, and appreciate one’s book.

We’re adding books to our Café menu.  Would your book be a drink, an appetizer, an entrée or a dessert?  What would you call it? 
     Murder in the One Percent will definitely be an entrée. It will fill up your plate as you follow the twists and turns in the plot. Bite by bite, its richness will satisfy your hunger for a good book, and give you energy to stay up late, reading. I would call it “Murder Wellington,” and I would serve it on the finest silver platter. It’s a dish to die for!

What is your favorite social media?  Why?
     All social media are valuable communication channels for authors, and I’m on Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram. Each one has a different slant, and I try to enjoy the benefits of each in connecting with family, friends, and readers. To choose a favorite seems disloyal to the others, but I suppose Facebook is the one I spend the most time on, both in posting and in reading and commenting on others’ posts. Facebook has allowed me to connect with many old friends in far-flung places. It’s given me new friends through groups with common interests. It’s easy to operate, and you can post as much as you like as often as you like. I love the way you can become friends with your friends’ friends. You can never have too many friends, right?

Tell us about the book in your closet.
     Since it’s in the closet, it’s not ready to emerge, but I’ve written a second mystery novel, Murder at Lincoln High. It takes place in a Midwestern urban high school, where multiple obstacles interfere with the mission of student success. Though it’s a far cry from the setting and characters in Murder in the One Percent, the book pulls back the curtain on the challenges of school administration, and it’s a fun read!

And now for the fun stuff! 

If you were a punctuation mark, what would you be?
     I would be an exclamation point! I tend to be on the emotional side! I feel things very deeply! I’m so excited to be asked this question! And I’m so excited to answer this question!

What is your biggest shopping downfall?
     Given the shopaholic nods in Murder in the One Percent, readers will likely be surprised to know I am not a shopper. I used to have a weakness for shoes. I held Imelda Marcos in high esteem for having over 400 pairs of shoes in her closet, and I enjoyed having a wide array of shoes to choose from to complete every outfit. That was before Hurricane Ike in 2008, which decimated my house and its contents. Since then, I’ve realized how little we actually need, and while I still like a good-looking pair of shoes, my joy in shopping for them has evaporated.

Are you a glass half empty or glass half full personality?
     Half full most of the time. I’ve seen people worry themselves sick over minor problems, while others in dire situations find a way to make the best of what they’ve got. The latter is far less stressful and more effective.

What is something you do that people would be surprised at?
     I volunteer in a doctor’s office one day a week. I love the interaction with people, and there is always some way I can find to make a difference in somebody’s day. I even saved a person’s life by recognizing over the phone that she was having a heart attack and convincing her to seek treatment.

Are you a dog/cat/other person?
     Ha! Anyone who knows me knows I am a dog person. My Old English sheepdog Nana is the narrator of my children’s book, Naughty Nana, and she is my constant sidekick when I do book signings and appearances for that book. My other dog, Archie, is a Bichon frise. The two of them rest at my feet while I’m writing, and they “participate” during my writers’ critique group meetings.


Someone comes to the party with murder in his heart and poison in his pocket.


When old friends gather for a weekend retreat at a country mansion, no one anticipates how their lives will be changed—or that one of them will turn up dead. Remote and serene, the Campbells’ horse farm is the perfect setting for a lavish party. The guests, members of the country’s elite wealthiest one percent, several of them politically connected as well, indulge in delights befitting their station—gourmet food, fine wines, Cuban cigars—but greed, lust, and jealousy insinuate themselves into the party.

Playboy and former Secretary of the Treasury, Preston Phillips, brings his new trophy wife to the party, unaware that his first love, the woman he jilted at the altar years ago, will be there, enchanting him once more with her timeless beauty. A snowstorm, an accident, and an illicit rendezvous later, the dynamics crackle with tension.

When Detective Oliver Parrott is charged with solving the untimely killing of one of America’s leading financial wizards, he realizes this will be the case to make—or break—his career.

Murder in the One Percent offers relatable characters, memorable moments, surprising twists, and humorous insights. Dive into the world of the one percent, and you’ll come up intrigued and thoroughly entertained.

Barnes & Noble           Amazon Kindle           Amazon paperback        Black Opal Books


     About Saralyn:  Mystery and children’s book author, Saralyn Richard, has been a teacher who wrote on the side. Now she is a writer who teaches on the side. Some of her poems and essays have won awards and contests from the time she was in high school. Her children’s picture book, Naughty Nana, has reached thousands of children in five countries.
     Murder in the One Percent, soon-to-be-published by Black Opal Books, pulls back the curtain on how the privileged and powerful rich live, love, and hate. Set on a gentleman’s farm in Pennsylvania and in the tony areas of New York, the book shows what happens when someone comes to a party with murder in his heart and poison in his pocket.
     When she is not writing, Saralyn likes going to movies and concerts, traveling, and walking on the beach with her husband and two dogs. She is an avid reader and is working on her second mystery.

Website     Facebook       Twitter       Goodreads

17 comments:

Saralyn said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, and thanks for the imaginative questions!

HiDee said...

This sounds like the perfect book to curl up with on the dreary, rainy nights we are experiencing right now. Very intriguing! Thank you for joining us Saralyn.

Unknown said...

Thank you Saralyn for being on our blog! Good luck!

Ann Weisgarber said...

Terrific interview questions and answers! (Since Saralyn would be an exclamation mark, I'm ending all my sentences in this response with one!) I've read Murder in the One Percent and it's impossible to put down!

Angela Adams said...

While reading the blurb, Saralyn, I got a sense that this would make a great movie for Hallmark Movies & Mysteries! Best wishes with your release!

Anise Castillo said...

I'm super excited to read Murder in the One Percent. Looks like I'll not be able to put it down, and I'll be losing sleep! Can't wait, and I'm letting everyone I know about the book.

Michelle said...

Enjoyed reading your blog and learning more about you that I may not have known. Looking forward to your mystery and any ones to follow.

Zari Reede said...

More than halfway through and love every minute of it! What great characters and intrigue! I still don’t know who done it! I’m an exclamation point too and POV is always a weak point for me. Love the advice to stop in the middle!

Kathleen Kaska said...

Great interview! I've ordered your book, Saralyn, and I love your Naughty Nana children's book.

Daniella Bernett said...

What a terrific interview. It provides great advice about writing and insight into your characters.

Zari Reede said...

I left a comment yesterday, but it doesnt seem to show up? I’m in the last 10% of the book and it’s awesome! I still don’t know “who done it”? Great characters and never a dull moment! It’s like a chocolate chip cookie of mystery novels... good to the last bite!

Geza said...

Love the interview. Your books Saralyn are great. And I love the questions the interviewer posed, and your answers. Geza

Carole Price said...

Possibly the best interview I've read. The questions were different and fun. Now to order your book.

Anonymous said...

If your writing voice is even half as engaging as your interview style, Saralyn, then Murder in the One Percent is sure to be an entertaining read.

Best wishes!
Cardyn Brooks

The Write Way Cafe said...

Sorry about that Zari! Spam has apparently been consuming comments lately. :( I have released your comment.

Laura Elvebak said...

What a wonderful interview! Different and diverse interview questions and fascinating answers. Can't wait to read the book!

Unknown said...

Lovely interview with great Q&As I'm looking forward to reading your book. Best wishes xx